Good coop??

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by KDOGG331, Mar 1, 2014.

1. KDOGG331

KDOGG331 Chicken Obsessed

Jan 18, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Posted in another thread about predators but also mentioned at the end about coop ideas and someone suggested Craigslist so I did and I think I found a pretty good one, but I want opinions. Not sure my parents want chickens right now or wanna focus on building a coop but this seems perfect cause it's bigger than we need it to be and so so cheap. The run is really nice too, although we'd let them free range, but it's good to know we have the option to not in bad weather or something and a nice run to do it in. Though I don't think te coop could hold 28, they're going off 2 sq ft per bird inside and 4 sq ft out, I'd prefer 4 sq ft inside too, which is fine because we only want 7-10 or 15 birds anyways so yeah. Something like this would cost thousands to build (this cost $1600 it says) and it's only $300 and 3 years old. But it seems like it'd be a ***** to take down and reassemble. Haha thoughts?? Here's the coop. http://boston.craigslist.org/sob/grd/4355155083.html

Also, if anyone has any coop plans or other cheap coops or ideas or anything, please let me know. Though my dad's said he doesn't wanna focus on a coop/building one right now, he's got other things to do, etc., so I'm thinking this would be great, even if it has to sit in our yard for a months or year, and I don't think we should pass it up but well probably have to :/ idk. Thoughts??

2. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    Not a fan of the layout but all that lumber and fencing and well, everything is an excellent deal if you've the truck or trailer to make trips hauling it home with.

To build the large run they have alone would cost you more in materials than they are asking for everything. Hard to pass up. The one 20X20 run is all you'd need unless you started breeding or needing grow out coop. All the rest of lumber can be used for one big walk in coop.

3. KDOGG331

Jan 18, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Wait the layout of what? The coop? Or the whole thing? But yeah, that's sort of what I figured too. We do have a truck and could enlist my dad and brothers and probably their friends so it would take less time to take down. :)

And really? That sounds like an awesome idea! So leave the existing coop and make another or make a walk in one instead or?

But yeah, it seems like a really great offer that'd be hard to pass up.

4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    All that material is easily worth $300...if it's in pretty good shape.
    You'd have to go look at it to be sure if it would work for you.

5. KDOGG331

Jan 18, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Oh yeah, that's a good point. It may have been sitting out or something. Also, my dad says it might be hard to get down because of the hardware cloth, they built it to stay ya know? But it says they built it to be easy to disassemble and reassemble so idk. We're looking at other coops now too :) my parents said yesterday I could have chickens but only if I get a job

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by