1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Good cross with Cuckoo marans?

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by claud, Jan 13, 2008.

1. claud

claud Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2007
    PA
    Just wondering what would be a good cross with a Cuckoo Marans. I want to add a couple lighter egg laying breeds to my flock and eventually I'll end up with crosses since I have a Marans roo. How about a RIR?

2. Buckguy20

Buckguy20 OKIE MOSES

Apr 13, 2007
    Choctaw Oklahoma
    Quote:When you say lighter, do you mean egg color or a smaller chicken. RIRs aren't any smaller than Marans.

3. rosyposyosy

rosyposyosy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2007
    RIR's are smaller. Marans are huge [​IMG]

4. Buckguy20

Buckguy20 OKIE MOSES

Apr 13, 2007
    Choctaw Oklahoma
    My Marans aren't much bigger if any than RIR's. Maybe just the strain that I have.

5. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

I have a Maran Roo as well. I have been trying to find him a home, but to no avail! He is a Cuckoo Maran. I am just going to put him in a seperate pen, with my only little dominique hen. See what comes of that! Should be pretty little things, both parents being black and white barred.

6. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

A barred rooster will produce barring on all his chicks to some degree. With a red hen of some sort, they'll probably have red in the hackle areas. Rosy, my breeder RIR was much larger than my hatchery RIRs.

7. AtRendeAcres

AtRendeAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2007
    Clarion County
    One day when I just have a kitchen flock I want:

Barred Rock
    Maran
    Dominque
    Barred Cochin
    & maybe a barred leghorn!

I think all of those would be neat crosses [​IMG]

8. claud

Dec 12, 2007
    PA
    Quote:When you say lighter, do you mean egg color or a smaller chicken. RIRs aren't any smaller than Marans.

Oh, I meant lighter egg color.

9. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I have a BR X Marans pullet and she's laying a darker egg than her mom, but not as dark as a full Marans. She's about as dark as my marans hens tho. Have to really look to pick her out.

10. claud

Dec 12, 2007
    PA
    Quote:I actually have two elderly RIR hens also. They are close in size to my Marans - maybe slightly smaller. I suppose there are variations is size(i think my RIR might have some production red in them too).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by