Good day gone bad

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by farmgirlforever18, Jul 6, 2011.

1. farmgirlforever18

farmgirlforever18 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2010
    Dublin TEXAS
    Ok so i couldn't sleep so I thought I would go check on every one and see how the new bantys are doing and my little 4 week old quail so I check on the bantys and there fine so I go check on my quail and there's three on the ground in the run ( I have there cage in the run for protection from neighbors dogs) and I'm wondering why there out and how there out so I shine the light in there cage [​IMG] there's a big snake in there. Out of my 20 quail only 4 are left [​IMG] stupid snake [​IMG] I really don't know how he got in there cage but he did but atleast I have my four little bobs left. Just because you think a snake can't get in there didn't mean it won't.

2. Dawn419

Dawn419 Lost in the Woods

Apr 16, 2007
    Evening Shade, AR
    So sorry to hear about your loss! [​IMG]

Not sure what type of cage you are using but last summmer I was so excited to have one of my hens go broody and decided to let her hatch a brood. We waited until night time and moved her and the eggs in the nest box to our old Chick-n-Barn . Everything was going well for the first 2 weeks of the move until I noticed her in the run of the Barn pacing and clucking. When I raised one of the lids on the barn, I found a 4 and a half foot black snake in the nest feasting. It managed to squeeze itself through the 1" welded wire of the run. [​IMG]

I'm working on covering every last bit of that 1" wire with half inch hardware cloth before I even think about using it again.

3. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

I'm so sorry

Imp

4. farmgirlforever18

Mar 5, 2010
    Dublin TEXAS
    Quote:they were in an old rabbit cage and the holes were about 1/2" and it had to be at least 4ft

5. 1livelychick

1livelychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2010
    So sorry for your loss.[​IMG] Hardware cloth for sure...but I also used the deer netting from tractor supple, too. THe snakes get tangled up in it..just extra protection. Take care.

6. 9farmgirl9

9farmgirl9 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2011
    Jasper, Mo
    [​IMG] [​IMG] Did you kill the snake?

7. farmgirlforever18

Mar 5, 2010
    Dublin TEXAS
    Quote:yep!! cant have it comming back so hade too

8. farmgirlforever18

Mar 5, 2010
    Dublin TEXAS
    thanks everyone [​IMG]

9. mdbokc

mdbokc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2009
    Oklahoma County, OK
    Killed our first snake in the coop today. But we leave the human door open all day. The snake was in the rafters and caught in the deer netting I use to keep the girls from going up onto the rafters to roost at night. First time in years to have this happen. I am putting out the netting snake traps from this point on. Also sprayed Liquid Fence Snake repellent - first time we ever have ever used it although we have had it for years.

Here is another method to trap snakes... https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=515899&p=1

Last edited: Jul 6, 2011
  10. D'Angelo N Va.

D'Angelo N Va. Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2009
    I am so sorry for your loss. I know that feeling, well I have never had the snake eat any live birds, but last year I had 2 bantams on the nest and they were supposed to hatch monday and I caught the snake eating eggs sunday evening...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by