1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Good day!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by lexxed, Mar 11, 2016.

1. lexxed

lexxed New Egg

Feb 21, 2016
    Hi

Looking at getting a few chooks in about 6 months.

I'm new to chickens (had cats,dogs, mice and fish as a kid , more of a dog person)

No chickens yet, just moving into our first house next week, has a decent sized garden around 400m2
    in Sydney Australia

Other hobbies are electronics and Jazz (play sax).
    Have a 19 month old daughter and love watching her learn.

Things to do first before getting/making a coop and then chickens

Fix up garden irrigation (have a 10k litre rainwater tank, need to overhaul pump and replace/install new fittings)
    Plan and build up garden beds for veggies
    Fix fences
    Clean out any plants that might be toxic to chickens

Also get to know the neighbours on my block with chickens (at least 2 houses with chickens in the closest 6 houses).

Main reasons for wanting chooks
    eggs - I usually eat 2-3 eggs 5-6 days a week for breakfast
    fertiliser for garden

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Welcome to BYC [​IMG] It's great that you are doing the research before taking the plunge, unlike some… [​IMG] Have you checked out the Learning Center yet? There are some articles on toxic plants, gardening with chickens and of course the essentials like how many chickens you can fit into a certain space and what breeds will be best for you. Enjoy the site and keep us posted!

3. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Water Under the Bridge Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    G'Day, BYC has a large Aussie population and a thread "Australia, six states and one funny little Island. - as well as many Aussies that post on whatever threads interest them onhere.

Welcome to Backyard chickens[​IMG]

5. CTKen

CTKen Monkey business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC - you have some great advice already so I'll just say hello!

All the best
    CT

6. lexxed

lexxed New Egg

Feb 21, 2016
    Thanks!

Yes been reading through the learning centre for a few weeks.

Just trying to work out whether to build my own coop or go for a kit or off the shelf coop or even one of the plastic ones.

Want something thats very easy to clean, doesn't get to hot in summer - we've just had a run of 20 days over 25*c with most getting to 30*C
    and a few up to 35*C. Though about 1/3 to 1/2 the garden is shaded depending on time of day.
    Also will make a chicken tractor or two to fit the garden beds.

The garden gets a nice sea breeze as we're up on a hill about 2km from the beach.

Looks like the main annoyances are going to be rats, myna's and silver eyes.
    A few crows and currawongs in the area and a few sea eagles. Are foxes in the area.
    http://www.warringah.nsw.gov.au/environment/your-backyard/backyard-creatures

Chance of getting a bush/brush turkey in the garden but they prefer gardens with plenty of scrub/canopy.
    https://www.warringah.nsw.gov.au/environment/species/b.

Currently thinking 6 chickens.
    Possibly 2 hybrids(isa browns or similar) , 2 Australorps and 2 silkies or 2 frizzles(the last 2 more as pets for my daughter)
    Council has a limit of 6 chickens allowed and no roosters but they only enforce the numbers if they get complaints and no ducks allowed.
    State government says 5 chickens http://www.legislation.nsw.gov.au/fragview/inforce/epi+572+2008+pt.2-div.1-sdiv.21+0+N?tocnav=y

Main problem is my wife is terrified of all animals (though as a young child her family keep chickens) and has mostly lived in apartments
    and never had any pets. Her sister has a dog.
    Given her a choice of chickens or a dog . She said chickens.

A dog will come later in a few years time.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by