Good deal for a bunny? And supplies

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by percyj, Dec 31, 2010.

1. percyj

percyj Songster

Jun 20, 2010
    I went to an animal shelter recently to look at some pets, and I saw some young rabbits, both genders and spayed and neutered for $25.00. Good deal? And for cages I would build a cage made out of those storage cubes. Either 3x3 or 2x4. Any thoughts on that? Does anyone know how much Manna pro rabbit feed costs at tractor supply? And can I buy a bale of hay for one bunny? Thanks. Previously I wanted quail, but the lifespan... [​IMG]

2. dandelionheart

dandelionheart Songster

Sep 15, 2010
    Lafayette, Indiana
    If this is for a pet, I'd say that was an awesome price. I plucked our bunny out of our yard and had her spayed at the reasonable amount of $135ish. Just with that you'd save money. I don't know if it is for meat rabbits... if that is a good deal or not. [​IMG] Good luck! I didn't realize how awesome bunnies were until she decided to grace us with her presence (she was a dump). [​IMG] She gets along well with our old kitties too and uses a litter box (one with ground paper just for her).

3. percyj

percyj Songster

Jun 20, 2010
    Oh, just as a pet! [​IMG]. So shredded paper works for litter? The carefresh stuff is way to expensive, soo... I was gonna use paper towels over newspaper. [​IMG]

4. muddyhorse

muddyhorse Songster

Aug 11, 2009
    Bloomsdale, MO
    good deal if it is fixed, It was $40 to bet ours neutered. Go on Craigslist there are often free to cheep rabbit hutches. keep in mind rabbits live 10 years that is a lot of poo. we feed ours the purina rabbit feed a 40 lb bag is $9.00 that will last several months

5. percyj

percyj Songster

Jun 20, 2010
    Thanks! But what litter is used for your boxes?

6. HopeMissouri

HopeMissouri In the Brooder

And for cages I would build a cage made out of those storage cubes. Either 3x3 or 2x4.

Probably fine for sleeping but not enough room to live all the time. Will this be a free roaming house bunny? Check out the House Rabbit Society: http://www.rabbit.org

7. HopeMissouri

HopeMissouri In the Brooder

what litter is used for your boxes?

Plain clay cat litter.​

8. dandelionheart

dandelionheart Songster

Sep 15, 2010
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Our ground up paper is Carefresh, but a big cube of it lasts just about forever! In her pen I put newspaper at the bottom (it has a metal grating at the bottom so poo just falls through) and we use the paper mulchy stuff in her litter boxes, one in her pen and one in the living room. She roams in the office and I let her out in the rest of the house some of the day. She is cheaper than the cats for sure. [​IMG] We get most of her supplies from Petsmart, but sometimes get things at the farm store. I'd buy more of her feed in bulk if I thought it would stay fresh long enough. Vivianna is a little bunny, we think a Mini-rex and a Netherland Dwarf mix. If I wasn't so worried about her eating things she shouldn't I'd keep her completely loose 24/7.

9. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Crowing

Yes that is a very good deal for a young, spayed bunny for a pet. I would have loved it if mine came spayed!

I just use pine shavings for the litterbox which I get by the bale at Tractor Supply. It's about $5.50 and a bale lasts two rabbits a long, long time.

Don't know what Manna Pro costs at TSC. Since yours is a pet rabbit and not for meat/production you might consider feeding one of the timothy hay based pellets so bunny doesn't pack on too much weight.

I have heard of people making cages out of those cubes, interesting but I've not done one myself. I would make it as large as is feasible for the space you have. Bunnies need plenty of exercise.

You can buy a bale of hay for one bunny but it will last you a very long time! I think for one bun I would buy a smaller amount. It will cost more that way of course but it won't get old and stale on you and loose nutrients.

Good luck and have fun with your bunny. We really enjoy ours!

10. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Crowing

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    For litter, I used a pelleted type made out of plants. Cat Country, I think. To clean it during the week, I just took the masses from the urine that were in the bottom of the box out with a scoop. The urine drained to the bottom and the pellets absorbed it and expanded, making a big clump. On the weekends, I'd dump it out and wash the box.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by