Good deal? Goats

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by luvzmybabz, Sep 9, 2008.

1. luvzmybabz

luvzmybabz Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2007
    I am loking at a couple of unreg nubian doelings waiting word back on exact age. I have seen reg go for 300 and up for nannies and doelings 200 and up. But need a good ball park for the unreg doelings. I really wanted to get one already in milk and still might however I want 3 or 4 and they will be pet/producers, thinking if I get these that they would bond with my family unit better to get them young. Also they were bottle fed, dehorned wormed and vacinated. any help would be great I am in OKlahoma if you need to know that for area.

2. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    It really is going to depend on your area, so hopefully someone from Oklahoma will see this.

In Colorado we could purchase goats like that for anywhere from $35 to $150. And, actually, about three weeks ago, my friend was given an Alpine doeling for free, and she has some really good lines in her background and looks very nice.

3. kinnip

kinnip Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2008
    Carrollton, GA
    You'll really want at least two to begin with. They're very difficult to deal with when they're alone. Don't worry about bonding issues. Goats will beat each other up a little, but nothing like chickens. The price range here is about the same as in Chirpy's area.

4. tvtaber

tvtaber Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2007
    Central CA
    Same here, with one that has been proven for kidding & milking going a bit higher. We bought our goats at 2-3 years old and they are as bonded to us as they could be (except for the one who hates us, go figure). Corn and time in the pen seem to bond them pretty quickly, so I would not worry too much about the ages. I would NOT, however bring one home without a friend. These are herd animals. Most breeders will give a discount on two animals to encourage folks buying more than one and a good breeder would not sell one goat unless you already had a herd at home.

5. Jessika

Jessika Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2008
    Eagle Creek, OR
    I bought 2 unreg Nubian doelings yesterday....$300 for both. 7 months old. Going rate around here foe clean and healthy ones. I went and looked at others for $100 but were not being taken care of. So I went with the nice clean farm....it cost me a little more but worth it.

I am in Oregon tho.... Regestered goes from 350-600 around here in NW Oregon. Southern and eastern Oregon is a lot cheaper. $150-350 for papers. Not a lot of farms around here anymore...

6. tressiah

tressiah Out Of The Brooder

Jul 28, 2008
    Beecher, Il
    I have 2 unregistered nubian females, I am looking to breed this November/December so the kids should drop April/May ? We found a fellow at the Will county Fair with a Nubian Billy, and he offered his Billy's breeding to us. The very thought of my sweet girls fornicating :eek: brings tears to my eyes !

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by