Good deal or no on rabbits

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by mamato3, Oct 29, 2008.

1. mamato3

mamato3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2008
    SWMissouri
    i might found a good deal else where 2 does 1 buck 3 babies more on the way both females are breed and 3 cages. The only thing is the guy know nothing about the rabbits other then there white and there ears stand up $75 for it all sposed to be grandsons rabbits what do you think?

2. seedcorn

seedcorn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2007
    NE. IN
    sounds high to me.......but I don't want rabbits.

3. Maidservant

Maidservant Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2008
    Norwich, Norfolk, UK
    The price really depends on what rabbits are going for in your area. Here they range from $9 for fryers up to $25 for proven (yet still young) breeders. They sound like typical New Zealand whites by his discription. One bit of advice though, you will need more cages! I suggest having one cage per adult, plus at least two extra (one for each gender of kit). If you plan on keeping your litters seperate, you'll need even more.

Since it includes three cages and babies it sounds like a fair price to me. You will need to be careful of how old the current kits are. If they are too young, they may get neglected or die from being moved to a new environment. Also, if the two does are bred, they may loose their current pregnancies because of the new environment. Be prepared for this.

Keep us updated, and good luck! Raising rabbits is a wonderful hobby!

Emily in NC

4. 1acrefarm

1acrefarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2007
    Georgia
    If the cages are decent they alone could possibly be worth the 75.

5. AussieSharon

AussieSharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2007
    Virginia
    Not sure the breed of rabbits but yes the cages alone can be worth that much. A 24x24 cage at TSC runs $25 each.

6. Southernbelle

Southernbelle Gone Broody

Mar 17, 2008
    Virginia
    I agree, the cages are probably worth a good bit, if they're in good shape.

They sound like they've been slightly neglected if they're selling them lock, stock and barrel and they've been bred willy-nilly. As pets, they may not be very well-socialized, so that could be disappointing.

7. Bex

Bex Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 12, 2008
    Virginia
    I hope the does haven't been bred back to back. [​IMG]

I get show English lops for anywhere between $50 - $70 a piece.

8. the1much

the1much Currently Birdless Hippy

i had a guy offer me 6 rabbits and cages for nothing the other day,,,, i figured they breed like rabbits,, and i dont need 200 by x-mas [​IMG]

9. Southernbelle

Southernbelle Gone Broody

Mar 17, 2008
    Virginia
    Quote:You should've taken them - you could've eaten the rabbits and used the cages for your chickens! [​IMG]

10. the1much

the1much Currently Birdless Hippy

Quote:You should've taken them - you could've eaten the rabbits and used the cages for your chickens! [​IMG]

hahaha ,, i was thinking that,, but my youngest has been asking for a rabbit,, and i KNOW she would of thought they were hers,, and i would have to have gone through the whole "guinea" thing again,,,,,which she cant wait to eat another lol.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by