Good Deal? Right Chickens?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by mamatomany, Jul 27, 2011.

1. mamatomany

mamatomany Out Of The Brooder

Apr 23, 2009
    South Carolina
    I have a local guy wanting to sell me RIR straight run, 20 of them for 1.50 each. They are a week and a half old. I would like to raise them up for slaughter. Is this the right breed, a good dollar deal, and how long until I can process them?

2. Cadjien_De_Louisiane

Cadjien_De_Louisiane SWLA Gamefowl Breeder

Apr 18, 2011
    Welsh, LA
    Sounds like a good deal to me. RIR are duel purpose breed. Not sure how long till big enough to process.

3. dsqard

dsqard Crazy "L" Farms

Jun 11, 2010
    York PA
    It might take a while before there is enough meat on those birds since RIR's are mainly raised for eggs.

4. Hummingbird Hollow

Hummingbird Hollow Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2011
    Colorado mountains
    I suggest reposting this question on the meat birds thread. I bet you'll have some expert advice in a very short time.

5. Wildflower_VA

Wildflower_VA Chillin' With My Peeps

RIR is a dual purpose bird, so they are good for meat and eggs. At one time the RIR was the chicken of choice for eating because the flavor was considered the finest of all meat chickens. Ever since they came out with the Cornish cross, though, they have been tinkering with RIR to make them more productive layers, so the modern RIR hatchery bird is most likely a "Production Red", meant to be a laying machine, and are not the same as the RIRs we knew 40 years ago. It could take 16 to 20 weeks to get your birds to the point of butcher. A hybrid meat bird will be ready for slaughter in a minimum of six weeks and average of eight weeks for the CX and between eight to 12 weeks for the Ranger meat birds.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by