1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Good deal? What do you think? pics

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by chilling in muscadine, Dec 20, 2008.

1. chilling in muscadine

chilling in muscadine { I love being disfunctual }

Jun 8, 2008
    muscadine, al.
    Around 10 years ago or so lightning hit and ran down the side of a huge oak tree right outside my back door. Some of the limbs that stretch out over my house are dying. The tree is so huge it would take three people stretching there arms around the tree for there hands to meet.

I hired a tree trimmer to remove the dead limbs that were putting my house in danger of falling and crushing my house. Some of the limbs the tree trimmer cut were as large as a tree themselves. On the last cut the man dropped a length of limb which hit and smashed the corner of my house. I happened to be inside when it happened so I went outside to investigate. I told the man that the damage wasn't all that bad. I was viewing the damage from the front of my house. He said he would return the next day with his son to repair my house.

This is what my driveway looks like now.
    [​IMG]

Later that night I was moving 8 pregnant rats and getting them moved to a place to deliver. When I opened my laundry room door all I could see was 6 smashed aquariums. These were the aquariums I had planned to move my expecting rats too. I had to become creative real quick to accomodate my mothers to be.
    [​IMG]

The next day the man was true to his word and showed up with his son to get all the measurements to repair my house. I then told him that when I made the statement the day before about the damage wasn't to bad that was before I realized my pregnant rats didn't have homes. He probable was thinking, I smashed her house and she is worried about aquariums.
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/11624_pict0021.jpg[/img]

Here is the man and his son repairing my house. After talking to the man for awhile I found out he had pine shavings. Now the corner boards on my house still needed to be painted so I told the man I thought I still had some of that color paint around somewhere. He said in exchange for me painting the corner boards that he would bring me a pickup truck load of seasoned firewood. I'm like great, we just put in a wood burning heater not long ago and its just two boards that need painting. Maybe 10 minutes work.

So we are kinda wraping up the deal and he is getting a total on how many aquariums he needs to replace. I had more aquariums in my barn but didn't want to go searching for them in the dark. I made the comment instead of replacing those aquariums how about some pine shavings. He said you got a deal.
    [​IMG]

So what do you think? Did I do good and get a good deal?

Last edited: Dec 20, 2008
  2. magikchick

magikchick ~FEATHERFOOTED DIVA~

Apr 21, 2007
    SW Florida
    Considering how much a bag of pine shavings cost, yea not bad.

3. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Great deal.

and you raise rats????... shaking his head and walking away

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 20, 2008
  4. chilling in muscadine

Jun 8, 2008
    muscadine, al.
    The pic of the pile of shaving is after I had already filled three of my coops with the stuff.

5. chilling in muscadine

Jun 8, 2008
    muscadine, al.
    Quote:Yeah I raise rats to sell and also the old man has 28 snakes for his pets.

6. lockedhearts

lockedhearts It's All About Chicken Math

Apr 29, 2007
    Georgia
    Sara,
    I pay $180 for a 20ft spreader truck of pine shavings, so yeah, I would say it's a good deal.

7. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    Quote:Yeah I raise rats to sell and also the old man has 28 snakes for his pets.

regular rats or african soft furred. I used to breed and sell the africans. Every 26 days a dozen babies per rat. Had 9 rat females and 3 boys. 1.50-3$ a rat , live was good.

8. kbarrett

kbarrett Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2007
    PA
    Great deal! I am a huge fan of the barter system.

9. chilling in muscadine

Jun 8, 2008
    muscadine, al.

regular rats or african soft furred. I used to breed and sell the africans. Every 26 days a dozen babies per rat. Had 9 rat females and 3 boys. 1.50-3$ a rat , live was good.

They are just regular old white rats but they go for $7.00 each for a large one. I do have some males I have aquired that are black and white and I'm going to breed with my white females to get some color going.

10. chilling in muscadine

Jun 8, 2008
    muscadine, al.
    Quote:regular rats or african soft furred. I used to breed and sell the africans. Every 26 days a dozen babies per rat. Had 9 rat females and 3 boys. 1.50-3$ a rat , live was good.

They are just regular old white rats but they go for $7.00 each for a large one. I do have some males I have aquired that are black and white and I'm going to breed with my white females to get some color going.

Yeah I love the barter system too especially when the man was feeling quilty as he@@ for smashing my house with that big old log. It was starting to get dark and he said he got in a hurry and that is how the log got dropped on my house.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by