1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Good Deal

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by teamsunbelt, Jun 17, 2011.

1. teamsunbelt

teamsunbelt Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    Midland, NC
    I picked up 2 new hens today. I found a deal on two Golden Comets and the coop. The owner was not able to let them out of their pen any longer, so they were confined to a smallish wire floor coop. He had quit feeding them laying feed, just straight grains of some kind. The hens still layed everyday, with nest boxes void of nesting materials. The coop needs a little work, but I plan on using it for young pullets in the future. The hens are in great shape, minus long toenails and sharp beak. Both of these I think will be taken care of when they start acting like chickens again. There were also no other chickens around. I plan on letting them free range some in a couple days, and then put them in my flock in a few weeks. I hate to leave them segregated in their little coop any longer than I have too. Who could pass up on two healthy young egg layers and a coop.

Is there anything to look for with the sudden change to laying pellets and free range?

2. NYRIR

NYRIR Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2010
    Petersburg,NY
    [​IMG] I would be excited too! Congrats! Did you happen to take any of the food he was giving them? If so,maybe mix it at first so as not to shock them...I would think free ranging would never be bad...except if they left or got lost.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by