good dog breeds for chickens

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by skooltcher, Sep 11, 2010.

1. skooltcher

skooltcher New Egg

Jul 19, 2010
    lancaster, ca
    looking for a dog. anyone know any good breeds to have around kids and chickens?[​IMG][​IMG]

2. noodleroo

noodleroo Snuggles with Chickens

Apr 29, 2010
    Rockport, Tx
    How about a rough coat collie:
    [​IMG]
    Great with kids and animals...

3. droopy

droopy Out Of The Brooder

Apr 18, 2010
    my great pyrenees watches over my flock all day. the only time shes been even remotely snappy at any of them is when one of the pullets thought she could refuse to leave the dogs laying area where blanca(my dog) can watch over the whole yard without having to get up. she just lays there all day watching the kids, the chickens, and the cats. the best breed of dog i ever had as far as gentle protection of my kids and animals

4. eKo_birdies

eKo_birdies Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2010
    Northern Colorado
    a well-trained female rottweiler. couldn't ask for more in a dog. [​IMG]

5. Strange_Screams

Strange_Screams Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2010
    Salado Texas
    In general, I'd say most herding breeds, the occasional working breed,with the very rare hunting/prey driven breeds far behind.
    great pyrinese/collie/healer/old English sheep dogs are going to be your best bet, rottweilers/Pitt bulls/german shepherds and other loyalty breeds are going to depend on the temperament and training of the dog. Every great once in a while, you might find a dachshund/ terrier mix that may see the flock as its pack, but don't bet on it. Do your research on dog breeds, Raise it up with chickens, OBEDIENCE train the heck out of it, and hope for the best.

I work at a pet store as background, a lot of working with dogs in general (No, having a dachshund run loose with your ferret is not a good idea, considering they were bread to hunt badgers) and breed types hold pretty true. I have a blue healer/Australian sheppard mix, I can trust her with a $1000 parrot that can't fly in the house(they cuddled), I can trust her to not chew on anything she hasn't been told she can chew on, but can I trust her to not get on the bed when I'm in the house or not "play" with the chickens by nipping at there tail feathers and chuckle as they run away? hell no. At least she is happy when they are all in one spot and not running frantically away.

With my experience with dogs, I would probably say that my current flock protector( a puppy for my current dog to teach when she is older so I wont have a gap between dogs) will most likely be followed by a corgi, collie, bull mastiff, another heeler(even though they are known to nip(at heels)) if i had all the time/money/dog food in the world a german shepard or great pyrinese.

Hope that helps
    Sadie

6. drunkdog

drunkdog Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2010
    Everett
    had a Bouvier Des Flandres for 13 years and he was the best dog EVER, patient, protective, calm, quiet, o but they are a flatulent breed [​IMG]

7. colowyo0809

colowyo0809 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2010
    Dacono, CO
    Quote:we have a purebred tricolor welsh pembrooke corgi and he is the greatest. he wanders around the yard, the chickens wander around him, they couldn't care less about each other [​IMG]
    if you are looking for a guard type dog I would definitly say a pyr would be the way to go. we adopted houdini as a 3yo, had him for the better part of a year before getting the chickens, and he's been around them for the past several months. Yay for not being a killer!

8. justbugged

justbugged Head of the Night Crew for WA State

Jan 27, 2009
    Enumclaw
    I have a Komondor that is great with my chickens, He did need one training session as a puppy. Now he won't even look at the birds, let alone play with them.

[​IMG]

9. Shannoniganshens

Shannoniganshens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2010
    West TX
    My duchshund = bad, she has killed and eaten 4 of my chickens. [​IMG] She leaves nothing but the feathers, my pit bulls, they could care less.

10. tuesdays chicks

tuesdays chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    stuart florida
    I have a Chihuahua he doesn't guard the girls but he isn't afraid of them or chase them, more worried they will go after him

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by