Good Dog With Birds

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by SportTees, Aug 27, 2008.

1. SportTees

SportTees Chillin' With My Peeps

Are any breeds better with chickens,ducks, cats then others?

2. roosters97

roosters97 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2008
    VA
    I don't know

3. pkeeler

pkeeler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2008
    Shamong
    Smaller breeds would probably not have enough in them to do damage. In larger breeds, I would think those breeds developed to point birds would be good. Breeds such as brittanys, pointers, springers, etc. have had the bird killing instinct bred out of them. Same goes for herding breeds. But they might run your chickens ragged, herding them from one end of the yard to the other. [​IMG]

I would probably stay away from breeds designed to chase and kill small game, like terriers. I'm sure people will chime in on how their terrier is great with their chickens. It is probably true to. Every dog is different, but I believe there are some tendencies in the different breeds that make it easier to teach those dogs to behave in certain ways.

4. Rare Feathers Farm

Rare Feathers Farm Overrun With Chickens

In general, terriers, herding dogs & bird dogs have a hard time around birds. We have a 1/2 BC, but the other 1/2 is Anatolian. So he does an awesome job. Of course, most is instinct, but we did have to train him, too...

On the other side--we also have a Borzoi...which is a sight hound. With LOTS of supervision & training, he's been okay...but in most cases, I wouldn't recommend one as a good, compatiable chicken dog. [​IMG]

Personally, I think we'll always have LGD's...probably purebred Pyrs or Anatolians.

5. NewHopePoultry

NewHopePoultry Overrun With Chickens

Apr 9, 2007
    Troy,Missouri
    My coonhound mix is better with the birds then my small lap dogs are.
    Alot of it depends on the dog themselves and how they were raised and what they are bred for.

6. storminstaffs

storminstaffs Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2008
    Durham, UK
    my yorkie x jack russell is great, 1 of my irish staffs is fine but his mam who we also own isn't if you introduce them as pups to the chickens im sure any breed would be fine

7. EllyMae

EllyMae Chillin' With My Peeps

As a pug owner, I would have to vote PUG!
    Minka, our black pug, has been with everything from peeps to bunnies and she LOVES them. She is gentle and has no intentions of hurting one. In fact, her house buddy is a holland lop bunny, Derby.
    Pugs are also great with kids. I honestly think she has no clue how to be 'mean'.
    here she is with ds, they are always together!
    [​IMG]

8. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    I know that the Great Pyrenees are great livestock guardians. If your looking to get a good guard dog for your animals, this would be the one to get. [​IMG]

9. Scrambled Egg

Scrambled Egg Flock Mistress

Aug 29, 2007
    Fayetteville, NC
    Quote:That must be true about the pyrenees as so many people on here say that same thing..my dogs are quite a bit smaller than the pyrenees...dachshunds and while my older dog does what she knows I expect of her around my chickens (my younger one is a puppy that I haven't even had around my chickens) I have read several posts on here that say a dachshund will kill a chicken in a minute so I do watch mine pretty closely and would rule them out, in general, as chicken protecting.

10. tiffanyh

tiffanyh Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2007
    Connecticut
    My dobie is excellent with the birds and cats and small animals we have. We are quite lucky, she chases out of my flower beds on command but never ever touches them otherwise!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by