Good Dog!!!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by featherfooted, Dec 23, 2007.

1. featherfooted

featherfooted Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Georgia
    I have a Speckled Sussex hen that has started to lay her eggs in one side of our doggie duplex dog house. We found this out friday when one of the dogs, Snoopy,was barking at the dog house and our English Setter, Lady, was sitting in front of it. I looked in and all I could see was a chicken head. She had built a nest in the back in all the hay we had put in for the dogs. I was able to retrieve it and take the egg in the house. This morning my DH was on his way back to the house from letting the chickens out of the coop, and Lady was sitting at the bottom of the steps with an egg on the ground in front of her. My DH stop and picked the egg up, which was not cracked, Told her she was good and brought it in the house. This is the same dog that a couple of months ago was taking eggs from the coop and eating them. I guess I got through to her about not eating eggs. Now if I could get her to gather all the eggs and bring them to the house. [​IMG]

2. Chickemee

Chickemee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2007
    Texas
    I wish I had a dog that would retreive eggs when the hens start laying but 1's mouth is probibly to small and the other isn't aloud to be around my chickens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by