Good Dog!

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Jaybr, Jul 16, 2008.

1. Jaybr

Jaybr Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2008
    Matoaca, VA
    I got a Pyr puppy (Otis) about a month ago hoping he would keep all the vermin away from the birds and out of my garden.

I just started letting the chicks and guineas free range some last week, and Otis is very calm around the birds and doing a great job. This is where he hangs out most of the time when the gates open.

sorry for the crappy pic, all I had handy was my phone.

[​IMG]

Wish I could say the same about our Aussie, but at least he hasn't killed any yet. I let him out with shock collar on the first time I let the birds out, he ignored the older birds but when he started toward the smaller ones and wouldn't back off he got a good zap. Now when he sees the birds loose he turns and goes back to the porch. I still don't trust him yet and haven't let him out without the collar on.

2. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    That is a good dog, especially a puppy! Your Aussie will learn soon enough also. It sounds like the message that you sent to him last time stuck with him!

That pic was great for a phone, BTW!

3. Henrietta23

Henrietta23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2007
    Eastern CT
    Aw, Otis is beautiful! (I love your coop too!) Looks like he's going to do a great job.
    I have an Aussie too. In the house he used to chase the cats but has settled down some. Luckily he's never bothered my birds but I don't trust him around our house rabbit or my baby ducks. Jack is almost completely blind and has never shown a whole lot of herding instinct. Except with the cats. The dog that herds the chickens around here is my Pug Stan. Now that is a sight!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by