Good Dual purpose breed chicken

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by mustangsaguaro, Mar 12, 2012.

1. mustangsaguaro

mustangsaguaro Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2007
    San Martin, Ca
    I am looking to possibly add good dual purpose breed to my flock. However, am looking for a dual purpose breed where the females will go broody on ocassion. When hatching eggs I prefer to use a broody over an incubator. They are just more reliable. I know orpingtons are a good dual purpose bird and and will go broody. Are there any other breeds out there besides the orps? Looking for something on the calm/docile side as well. Needs to be a large fowl breed not bantam. Already have silkies.

Thanks

2. BuffMomma

BuffMomma Out Of The Brooder

Feb 16, 2012
    Florida
    I have heard that Brahmas are good mine are only five weeks old so not exactly sure yet but they are friendly little things.RIR are awesome layers and are sometimes broody hope this helps. Orps however are my fav.

3. blueferral

blueferral Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2012
    Simpsonville, SC
    My EEers were more broody than my RIR. Get what ever breed you want and stick the eggs under a silkie [​IMG]

4. mustangsaguaro

mustangsaguaro Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2007
    San Martin, Ca
    Well, seeing that silkies are very small. You can only stick a few large eggs under a silkie. That is why I want a LF not bantam breed that goes broody.

I personally have a 1/2 silkie/ 1/2 Ameraucana mix that goes broody at least 4 times a year. Would like to get a few more silkie/Ameraucana mixes to see if they would go broody as well. She's a great mom and one of the many reason I keep her around.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by