Good dual purpose breeds

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by bantiebabe1200, Nov 9, 2010.

1. bantiebabe1200

bantiebabe1200 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2010
    Ennis, Montana
    I just have question about what breeds are best for dual purpose. I just read the thread about wyandotts and was curious if there any particular favorites of ppl out there for this purpose. I would personally like to have good layers and maybe cook up the roo's but I'm still undecided about what kind of bird might be best for this. (I was originally thinking of the orpington's, but would like other opinions too since I'm new to eating my own birds)

Last edited: Nov 9, 2010
  2. PineappleMama

PineappleMama Chillin' With My Peeps

3. lightfoot

lightfoot Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2010
    NW minnesota
    Quote:I asked the very same thing.
    1- can withstand -20 degree cold for extended time.
    2-dual purpose, meat and eggs.
    3-mild tempered.
    4-will lay thru winter.
    5-popular enough to be in demand for chicks in the spring.
    6-large eggs.
    7-can take confinement well.
    The breed chart is good.
    [​IMG]

4. bantiebabe1200

bantiebabe1200 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2010
    Ennis, Montana
    Thanks, that's very helpful list. [​IMG] That should make this task much easier. [​IMG]

5. Dogfish

Dogfish Rube Goldberg incarnate

Mar 17, 2010
    Western Washington
    I started with Barred Rocks (BR), Black Austrolorps (BA), Rhode Island Reds (RIR) and Gold Sex Links (GSL), all day olds purchased in March of this year. All strong dual purpose birds. Egg production is about 12 eggs per day, they started laying in August, but I have had 2 days where I got 16 eggs from my 16 hens. We have one rooster, BA, and he services the girls pretty well. Pulled 24 eggs to hatch, 19 were fertille, 17 hatched successfully. I'll hatch another batch in January to add a few girls to the flock. The rooster would certainly be worth harvesting now, if we didn't want him.

We haven't considered harvesting any of the hens just yet, unless I can figure out the hen that keeps stiffing me on eggs, but they would be reasonable dinner size, 4lbs dressed or so. The Rooster is about a pound heavier.

Great demeanor on all of the birds, as far as being approachable, except the GSL's. They have been flighty since day 1. I trained a BR hen to jump for peas. One RIR hen likes to visit me in my shop while I reload ammo. Two BA hens run up to me to see what is going on even when I don't have food.

I would have any of these birds again. All in all, they would certainly be able to keep me in eggs and birds, should the need arise.

6. WhiteMountainsRanch

WhiteMountainsRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2010
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    I have Wyandottes, I love them for all of the above reasons and more! They are great, the pullets are 7 months and weigh 6-7lbs. Rooster is more. I highly recommend them! Oh and I frequently get 12 eggs from 12 pullets.

7. PineappleMama

PineappleMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:You northerners are certifiably insane... but frozen solid so not much of a threat. [​IMG]

Babe you're sorta in the same zone as Lightfoot, is that list of requirements that you need too?

Last edited: Nov 10, 2010
  8. HaikuHeritageFarm

HaikuHeritageFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2010
    Anchorage, AK
    I'm liking my Delawares for Dual-Purpose, but this will be my first winter with them so we will see. If they don't fare so well I may switch to Chanteclers.

9. Steve_of_sandspoultry

Steve_of_sandspoultry Overrun With Chickens

From what we raise.

Buff Orps - gentle birds, good layer, large leg 1/4ers
    Speckled Sussex - not as calm as a Buff, lay a smaller egg, more meat per bird than a Buff
    Dark Cornish - great meat bird, semi flighty, small eggs, great foragers
    Marans - best tasting bird, calm and gentle, large eggs good layers
    Cochins (not really dual purpose more ornamental) large eggs, very calm, great incubators of eggs, lots of meat per bird
    Light Sussex - huge birds, super calm, great layers, haven't invited any to the table yet
    Rhode Island red - calm natured - the roo's are very protective of their flock, good layers, lots of breast meat when filled out due to the body shape
    Ameracanca - slow to mature, haven't started laying yet nor have any made it to the table yet, calm natured birds.

We had Mottled Java and sold off the flock, poor layers, very flighty, very slow to mature.

If you are looking more to the meat side Dark Cornish or Speckled Sussex are the way to go

Eggs would go to the Marans or the Light Sussex.

Taste wise the Marans have the best flavor.

Steve

10. Kassaundra

Kassaundra Sonic screwdrivers are cool!

Sep 1, 2010
    Henryetta
    Quote:Question, when you say slow to mature do you mean slow to grow to full size or slow to be sexually mature (crow, lay eggs, etc...)?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by