good duck coop design?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by DucksN'Horses, Oct 10, 2011.

1. DucksN'Horses

DucksN'Horses Out Of The Brooder

Oct 4, 2011
    alright, so first excuse my terrible drawing of a duck in this, then excuse my overall drawing skills.
    The stall mat underneith the wire pen is to catch the poo so that it doesn't end up on the ground, but the ducks dont have to stand in it, and rubber horse stall mats are easy to wash. the yellow stuff in the shelter is straw, and there is a roof over the entire thing i'm just terrible at drawing on a laptop. so do you think this is a good design? here is the pic
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/6230442661/in/photostream

Last edited: Oct 10, 2011
  2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    You did remarkably well! Good drawing!

I think you've covered most bases.

Could you remind me how many ducks you're building and planning for, and which breed?

I don't have a wire-bottomed pen. Though there is hardware cloth underneath the night pen veranda, it's covered with sand then sawdust. The reason is I want to avoid bumblefoot, which can occur more often with flooring that could scratch little feet.

Perhaps you're going to use coated wire?

For cleaning and maintenance, this setup looks just a little easier than mine. Have you checked out the topics on duck house and pen design?

3. DucksN'Horses

Oct 4, 2011
    yup, we are using coated wire, and its for 3-4 call ducks [​IMG]

4. DuckyMom

DuckyMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2010
    Upstate NY
    This looks great!
    The only thing I worry about is how much time theyre going to be spending on the wire. It's not always good for theyre little webbed feet.
    Although it looks like you've thought of everything, I love the drain system. I need to figure one out for my pond. lol

Emily

5. TennesseeTruly

TennesseeTruly Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2009
    Church Hill, TN
    Its very similar to what we did but half of our flooring is wood. Let me show you.

Half of this flooring inside is wood and then we have hay on top of it. If you click on the picture you'll be able to see the pic and the flooring better. This is their winter pen. In the spring, they'll go back to a different pen but I wanted them off the ground for the winter.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 10, 2011
  6. DucksN'Horses

Oct 4, 2011
    thanks for the picture [​IMG]
    I want them off the ground too, and there shelter has a wooden floor with rubber over it, so their little feet do get a break

7. 70%cocoa

70%cocoa Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2011
    Canberra, Australia
    Your drawing is excellent and the design looks like it'd work very well for 3-4 Calls. One option for on top of the wire in the open part are safety mats - the kinds that are used in commercial kitchens and factories. They are rubber but have holes. Would still let water and poop through and be hoseable, but better on their feet.

Nice work!! I think you'll be very happy with your design.

8. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    That is a great drawing. [​IMG]

9. m.kitchengirl

m.kitchengirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Maine
    I have a wire bottom on half of my enclosure and wood in the other half.
    I have an even layer of about 3"-4" of pea gravel on the wire part. I rake the gravel and spray with the high powered hose, and then rake and spray again, sometimes 3 times if it needs it. It stays much cleaner and so far, all the ducks feet are fine.
    I was just too worried about something digging under and it was not possible to do a concrete floor for another year or two.

10. ChickInDelight

ChickInDelight Never an Empty Nest

Apr 27, 2011
    Browntown, VA
    Wire bottom may be better suited for chickens that fly upwards and roost. Ducks stay on the floor.

I like the sand bottom in my chicken / duckhouse. I am amazed, however, how much time my ducks choose to spend on gravel - even napping sometimes. The gravel drive is near their pool - but so is the green lawn and concrete walkway. Concrete is never chosen for napping, but grass, mud, and gravel is.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by