Good easter egger choice?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Tyandmacsmom, Dec 13, 2011.

1. Tyandmacsmom

Tyandmacsmom Out Of The Brooder

Jun 28, 2011
    Good afternoon,

I have four Lavender Ameracauna hens. I have a Black Australorp rooster that I was thinking of letting breed with them, and incubating the eggs. So, for starters, they would be considered an easter egger, correct? And given that Ameracaunas aren't great layers but Australorps are pretty decent, I would be looking at okay hens for production, right? I also have a Delaware rooster, but I really like the looks of the Australorps. In the sun, they are gorgeous with their shiny green feathers. [​IMG] Or would it make more sense to just try to order an easter egger rooster? It is just kind of bothersome that you never quite know what the breeds are, and I don't want to have a flock of hens that only lay 2 or 3 eggs a week each.

What are the odds that the offspring would be blue/green layers? I thought I read something somewhere, where the odds are different if the Ameracauna is the mother or the father, but I can't remember where I found that. Thanks for any help!

Miranda

2. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    idk but i would do one batch of eggs to see how they turned out first i would also see how the delaware babies with them turned out. for egg color i think it all depends on the genes of the mother and father of the chicks. again i really dont know though

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by