Good egg dish for church?

coffeenutdesign

Chirping
7 Years
Jul 24, 2012
Texas
Since I have plenty of eggs right now, I would love to be able to do something with them for our church potluck we have once a month. I know deviled eggs are doable, but would love some more ideas for using up plenty of eggs in a dish that would appeal to most people. Most of the people in my church are over 60 at least, with some much older. We are the only "youngsters" (late 30s).

What about a quiche? Those are yummy. Find a lowfat recipe- they use less cheese so they are cheaper and healthier. And I think some even use milk instead of cream. I like broccoli bacon quiches.

Years ago VFEM (I Believe) posted one of her recipes for a breakfast strata (meaning a layered dish). She ran a B&B and would assemble the dish at night from leftovers and cover and refrigerate it overnight. Next morning pull it out and into a hot oven and serve it as one of the breakfast entrees. It's really very good and doggone simple. You could make a larger version of this in a 13x9 pan by roughly doubling the recipe. The key is to layer the bottom of the greased pan with the bread cubes, that is your "crust" and then layer up from there. It is remarkably simple and oh so good. I tried like the dickens to find VFEM's recipe but my eyes are not cooperating. My apologies if it is not VFEM who posted this...

A good friend of mine from the BackyardChicken.com forum gave me this recipe. She used to run a Bed and Breakfast place in North Carolina and served this to her guests. People that run places like this often serve dinner and have amazing leftovers. She used those leftovers in her "stratas". Keep this in mind when you look at your fridge...

Mis en place:

2 cups of cubed bread, preferably a hearty whole wheat
1 cup ham, small dice (or leftover chicken breast or corned beef)
1 cup boiled potatoes, small dice
1 cup sliced mushrooms
1 cup grated cheese (swiss or cheddar are great for this)
2 scallions, chopped
5 eggs
1 1/2 cups whole milk
herbs, and fresh parsley

Preparation:

The night before assemble your "strata". Generously grease a 9 x 9 pyrex pan or a Corning Wear dish with butter. Layer in the cubed bread, then the small diced potatoes, then the sliced mushrooms, then the grated cheese and lastly the scallions. Beat the eggs and milk with the parsley and herbs until really frothy, about 2 minutes. Pour into the casserole dish and place in the fridge to rest overnight. In the morning remove the dish from the fridge, turn your oven on to 400 F and let the dish warm on the oven as it's coming to full heat. Bake in the oven 35-45 minutes until the top is golden brown and the eggs are really set. Remove and let rest about 10 minutes. Serve sections with buttered toast, scones or bran muffins. Be prepared to be awed...

Why not an egg casserole? Scroll down to recipe #5 on this page: 5 Fabulous Easy Egg Recipes
for the "Sunday Brunch Casserole". It uses 12 eggs and is VERY yummy! It would work very well for a church dish.
droolin.gif

Angel food cake. Uses at least a dozen egg whites.

Then use the yolks to make a lemon curd. You can serve that on the side or use it to frost the cake. Or use it to make lemon tarts.

Back
Top Bottom