"Good" egg laying bantam...anyone know of any?

Wokawidget

Songster
10 Years
Jul 7, 2009
Hi,

I have a Bantam Cochin, who is very friendly...but the much larger chickens can exclude her from things and she sits on her own, or with the ducks if they're not doing duck things.
We've decided to get another bantam chicken to befriend the Cochin.

Does anyone know of any good egg laying bantams? I know in general bantams are not very good at egg laying...but one that lays 80 eggs / yr is better than one that lays 10 / yr...since our primary reason of having chickens and ducks is eggs 1st...pets second.

cheers,

Woka

I know you already have one but my bantam Cochins lay amazingly well. I'd say 2 eggs every three days -- if not more.
smile.png

I thought Bantams lay well and were good broody mothers?? Or is it different in the US? - their eggs are small so not as desirable as hen eggs. Incubated chicks are slightly less likely to be as good as mothers, but I think the egg laying 'force' is strong in bantams!! As for getting more- The more the merrier, as they say! I must admit I have seperated my bantams from general layer hens- the big girls tend to pick on the little ones!

Hi,
My Bantam Cochin lays pretty much the same..2 every 3 days...roughly...when she's not broody.
We were looking at a Sebright...but I read that they only produce 60 eggs a year.
We'd like a different chicken to a Cochin as we have one already, and each one of our critters is of a different make and model
smile.png

thanks

Woka

mine tend to pick on my banty, as well, but they also defend her. she is part of their family (sussex rooster and 3 hens, and little bridgette). if there is a thought of danger, the hens will gather and bridgette will dive under them and they're fine with it. i think they all claim her as a chick
tongue.png

Last edited:
I have 2 buff silkies and 2 mille fleur duccles and get on average 3 eggs per day from them
big_smile.png
They all lay very well and they are in their second year as well. They lay much better (on average) than my "layers."
tongue.png

My seabright lays an egg just about every day. She is one of my best layers. I say "just about" every day, because I know she must have missed a few days? But I can't remember any days that she has not laid an egg. She is hard to keep in the chicken yard though.

Back
Top Bottom