1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

good egg laying / pet(cute,fun) breeds

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by raymondjames, Nov 1, 2011.

1. raymondjames

raymondjames Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2011
    Any good laying/pet breeds besides: Silkie, Cochin (i have a love for them [​IMG]) Ameracauna, Australorp, Leghorn? Also how are Seramas?

2. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    I like Orpingtons because mine are really social and lays at least as well as a cochin. Sermas are really cute (BUT DON'T HAVE ANY), and I bet they lay cute little eggs.

3. raymondjames

Sep 18, 2011
    Cool! I am considering Orpingtons.

4. pinkwindsong

pinkwindsong Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2011
    Laurens SC
    my favorite layer is by far my Bared Holland. lay white eggs good size and everyday.. Love that part .. exstreamlly friendly to people and other chickens of all ages and breed ( big help in a flock of mixed breeds and ages like mine) they are hard to get they are on the registry for low numbers so it woul dbe great if you would get some an help the breed keep going.. im getting 20 more in the spring. cant wait.
    this is Barred Holland
    [​IMG]
    you can see the tail shape and body shape is different from a barred rock and the tail shape is different.
    this pic is Barred rock
    [​IMG]
    in this pic you can really see Barred holand tail style and that they are a lighter color almost a greyish brown vs the barred rocks black and white.
    [​IMG]

hope I helped even a little.. )O( [​IMG]
    Pink

5. raymondjames

Sep 18, 2011
    thanks guys! But using the byc guide Australorps lay Large eggs with a High egg production rate. Orps lay Medium eggs Medium. But Australorps are the "australian" version of Orpingtons, right?
    The site i am using does not supply Barred Hollands. Both Barred Hollands and Orpingtons are on my list of WANTED BREEDS now (im gonna add that to my sig sometime).

Here's my current cart:

2 Buff Silkies St Run
    2 Red Frizzle Cochins St Run
    2 Ameracauna Pullets
    2 Black Australorp Pullets St Run
    2 California White Leghorn Pullets St Run

GRAND TOTAL of $26.90 for 10 chicks

i will probably checkout sometime this week

Last edited: Nov 1, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by