Good Egg or Bad Egg??

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by StitchMyStars6, Nov 22, 2013.

1. StitchMyStars6

StitchMyStars6 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 3, 2013
    middle river, md
    I'm wondering if the egg one of my (Pekin) girls laid is good or bad... At about 4:45pm this evening, I was outside about to clean their pool and noticed an egg in the mud!!! None of my ducks seemed to acknowledge it, they only cares if I had treats, haha. So when I picked it up, it was soft! It was a normal size egg, but soft?!?!?! Could something be wrong here? Could it be that it was laid outside in the cold and slightly in mud/water (for who knows how long, because I just got home from work 15 mins prior)? I'm surprised it didn't freeze... I had to clean it up a bit to see by candling. It's kinda clear, hard to see yolk...[​IMG]

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Have they just started to lay? sometimes when they first start they will lay a soft shell or shell less egg till they get the kinks worked out, If they have been laying for a while and are not coming out of molt it could still be a fluke but what do you feed and do they get Oyster shell for added calcium? I would not eat it toss it in the trash. and [​IMG]

3. StitchMyStars6

Oct 3, 2013
    middle river, md
    This is egg #9 so far. First egg came 11/14 early am. She skipped one day between the week (unless she laid it somewhere in the yard). My fiancé and I built our own duck hutch, its above ground and pretty big. We feed them purina sunfresh non medicated flock raiser pellets, tomatoes, meal worms, and of course they forage for anything else like bugs and other worms. Whichever one of these ladies laid eggs, it's a first. They're only about 6months or so old. Got them back in early june and they were at least 2 weeks old.

4. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    So I don't think you need to worry much about this soft shell it happens now and again especially when they first begin to lay, I feed FR also and mine free range but I still offer them Oyster shell in a separate bowl, it's cheap and can't hurt to give them a choice of some extra calcium that can help since it takes a lot to make an egg shell. We love pics so when you get time post some also of your duck hutch. it's always encouraging to others to see what can be made to house ducks. and love to see your ducks too. [​IMG]

5. StitchMyStars6

Oct 3, 2013
    middle river, md
    I have a little giant still air incubator for the eggs. Been keeping it at a good temp and humidity. And turning them of course :) I'll have to buy that oyster shell stuff!! I'm also wondering if the eggs are fertile. I posted something few days ago about candling and determining the difference in my eggs cause I can't really tell... I have 2 female pekins and a male crested. They definitely fool around in the pool, alot! Id imagine there'd be a fertile egg somewhere down the road... hmmm

6. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I'm thinking you are right on that assumption. So you have some eggs in the bator? have you candled or has it not been long enough? usually by day 7 you should see some veining. I like this chart... http://wildliferehabber.com/sites/default/files/wr_duckeggchart.jpg

sometimes when they first begin to lay the eggs aren't fertile but usually after a couple weeks they are. All you can do is candle and see. Let us know when you do.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2013
  7. StitchMyStars6

Oct 3, 2013
    middle river, md
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

8. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
  9. StitchMyStars6

Oct 3, 2013
    middle river, md
    I skimmed through this a bit while I could. It is most helpful and educating. I will definitely keep it in mind. Thank you

10. StitchMyStars6

Oct 3, 2013
    middle river, md
    I forgot to mention that the female with the fuzz on top actually never had that when she was a duckling. Roughly a month and a half after having her, it she started to develop that little poof.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by