Good egg or bad egg???

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by fortkevin10, Jan 9, 2014.

1. fortkevin10

fortkevin10 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 27, 2013
    I'm new to incubating. I have a small sized incubator, currently with only 7 eggs. I know 4 of them are for sure developing as I can clearly see the eye/blood veins. The other 3 eggs, I'm not so sure they are on track. I can't really tell because they are opaque. Should I keep them or throw them away? I would have to throw out a developing egg, but if I keep one, I heard they can explode. Also, are there any given sogns to tell if an egg isn't developing? Thanks!!!

2. BatonRougeChick

BatonRougeChick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2013
    Denham Springs, LA
    My Coop
    I came to find an answer to this same question, so I will wait here!! I have to make a decision on mine that don't appear to be developing tonight. I'm so scared to kill a developing baby, but don't want them to explode if not. And some are too opaque to be sure!

3. BatonRougeChick

May 13, 2013
    Denham Springs, LA
    My Coop
    Well, I went ahead and candled them again and was pretty sure 4 did not develop. So I just opened them and thank God they didn't. So I have 4 left, 3 which are definitely developing, and 1 that I'm not sure about but I kept it.

4. BatonRougeChick

May 13, 2013
    Denham Springs, LA
    My Coop
    Here is the eye of one I just candled :)

[​IMG]

5. dcbcaaron

dcbcaaron Out Of The Brooder

Feb 3, 2009
    Dry Creek, LA
    the picture is kinda dark so it's hard to tell, how far along is your incubation? (i've never had an egg "explode" in the incubator)

6. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    Given signs are no signs of development or a quitter. I don't even candle until 7 or 10 days. then it's obvious those that never started or quit in first few days. Then I candle again at 14 days and those that stopped developing are far behind the ones that are still growing. It's a which one is not like the others type thing. Very few that grow 7 days stop but things happen especially with kids in the house.

7. BellChell123

BellChell123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2013
    We've hatched out chicks for many years, and there is always at least one egg that isn't fertilized and we've never had them explode. When everyone else is done hatching we just take that egg ad toss it out.

Good luck![​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  8. fortkevin10

fortkevin10 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 27, 2013
    Based on the replies I've seen, I think I'll keep the eggs in. I heard they can explode and it's then really messy and smelly. Also, I'm on day 11 of incubation. It's just hard to tell if some eggs are good because they are opaque.

1 person likes this.
  9. dcbcaaron

dcbcaaron Out Of The Brooder

Feb 3, 2009
    Dry Creek, LA
    should be hatch day huh? how they coming?[​IMG]

10. BellChell123

BellChell123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2013
    Still have this thread subscribed to. Let us know how they're doing when they hatch!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by