Good evening from Suffolk

philyc

In the Brooder
Jan 5, 2016
Suffolk, UK
Evening all,

I have used this forum quite a lot in the past few weeks in the build up to getting my first few hens, so thought I should jump right in.

So me: 25, married, 8 month old daughter, live in Suffolk, England.

My wife and I decided to take the plunge and get our own chickens, ok, well, I persuaded her to let me have chickens. I built a run out of dug in chicken wire, it measures roughly 5m x 7m, I basically wanted as big as I could reasonably get without my wife biting my head off.

My neighbours had previously said that they had an old coop sitting around their garden that they weren’t going to use. I went and retrieved it from the weeds and put it together and lime washed the inside. I needed to recover the roof and make some new perches inside but its secure, stable and was big enough for what I wanted.

It was then that I realised I couldn’t get the coop through the door of my run. So it all came apart again and put together inside the run this time… woops.

Then I went to collect my two new hens. They were being rehomed due to the owner moving and unable to take all of her chickens with her. So away I came with 2 eight-month old Exchequer Leghorns and £20 less in my pocket. They are now known as Rosemary (white tail) and Thyme (black tail)

They went straight into the coop and seemed very happy.

Now this is another confession I have, I didn’t believe in the phenomenon you call ‘’chicken maths’’, but it has somehow taken effect and I now have 4 hens.

Today I convinced my wife that we should get a small Peking bantam for our daughter (9 months old) to interact with and grow up with, so she consented. When at the local chicken man, I may have slyly made her realise that we should really have two so they have a friend and introductions to the leghorns would be better. So we have come away with a Partridge Peking (nutmeg) and a Buff Peking (ginger). They have gone straight into the coop tonight with the others tonight after a short run around while the leghorns were in their coop.

The two leghorns were the only two big hens in their last flock so hopefully they should be ok with the two new girls. I’ve also just been out to check on them and I found a small white egg which I am now having soft boiled with soldiers. So guessing it’s a Peking egg as it is barely a mouthful.

Anyway, sorry for the long rant, I look forward to using this forum often, and indeed have done already and produced 12 suet blocks for the girls tonight.

Please enjoy a few pictures of my coop, run and 3 of the girls.

Evening all, And a good afternoon to you.

I have used this forum quite a lot in the past few weeks in the build up to getting my first few hens, so thought I should jump right in.

So me: 25, 61, married, grown son. married, 8 month old daughter, live in Suffolk, England. Ladysmith, Wisconsin.

My wife and I decided to take the plunge and get our own chickens, ok, well, I persuaded her to let me have chickens. My wife is almost has goofy with birds and other pets as I am.I built a run out of dug in chicken wire, it measures roughly 5m x 7m, I basically wanted as big as I could reasonably get without my wife biting my head off We converted a garage workshop to house our many birds..

My neighbours had previously said that they had an old coop sitting around their garden that they weren’t going to use. I went and retrieved it from the weeds and put it together and lime washed the inside. I needed to recover the roof and make some new perches inside but its secure, stable and was big enough for what I wanted.

It was then that I realised I couldn’t get the coop through the door of my run. So it all came apart again and put together inside the run this time… whoops Been there and done that..

Then I went to collect my two new hens. They were being rehomed due to the owner moving and unable to take all of her chickens with her. So away I came with 2 eight-month old Exchequer Leghorns and £20 less in my pocket. They are now known as Rosemary (white tail) and Thyme (black tail) Seven serama and new chicks, three silkies, a mutt hen, finches beyond counting, conures, a red squirrel, and a couple of dogs. YOU HAVE MONEY IN YOUR POCKET. WOW!!!

They went straight into the coop and seemed very happy.

Now this is another confession I have, I didn’t believe in the phenomenon you call ‘’chicken maths’’ I learned the truth of this when I was twelve years old; much to my families dismay., but it has somehow taken effect and I now have 4 hens.

Today I convinced my wife that we should get a small Peking bantam for our daughter (9 months old) to interact with and grow up with, so she consented. When at the local chicken man, I may have slyly made her realise that we should really have two so they have a friend and introductions to the leghorns would be better. So we have come away with a Partridge Peking (nutmeg) and a Buff Peking (ginger). They have gone straight into the coop tonight with the others tonight after a short run around while the leghorns were in their coop.

The two leghorns were the only two big hens in their last flock so hopefully they should be ok with the two new girls. I’ve also just been out to check on them and I found a small white egg which I am now having soft boiled with soldiers. So guessing it’s a Peking egg as it is barely a mouthful.

Anyway, sorry for the long rant, I look forward to using this forum often, and indeed have done already and produced 12 suet blocks for the girls tonight. Try fresh baked bread with tomatoes and other good stuff baked in. Our chicken-all the birds love it.

Please enjoy a few pictures of my coop, run and 3 of the girls. Pictures of some of mine.

Welcome to the family-BYC.

Last edited:
Hi :welcome from Yorkshire UK

Glad you could join the flock! Congratulations on your new hens :celebrate Chickens are so addictive and there is no way of stopping it! I too was like you at first, just a couple of hens to start with but over the years I got to nearly 50 at one point! I've thinned them out now down to a more manageable number. I have loved reading your intro and looking at your pics.
Please do pop by the UK thread, the link is in my signature. I'm sure we have some members from your area on there.

Wishing you the very best of luck with your chicken adventures in the future. Be sure to ask any questions that you may have, everyone here to help and very friendly.

Enjoy BYC and all the chicken chat :frow

Last edited:
Hi and welcome to byc - glad you have joine us. I too am from Blighty but live in Kenya. Loads of people here to help you out with any questions you may have. One thing you don't need advice on is chicken maths! I suffer from selective amnesia when I am hatching eggs in terms of telling my wife - it's only when we go shopping I get asked "why are you buying starter food" :lau

All the best

Ct

Haha. 4 is my absolute limit i think. What with being in army quarters etc my wife may kill me.

where in Kenya are you? I used to live in kinshaha DRC and spent a decent amount of time in Kenya.

welcome-byc.gif

You have some lovely birds, thank you for sharing their pictures and the nice intro.

Good to have you join us!

Back
Top Bottom