1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Good evening to all of you in Ireland

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by LochErnepioneer, Nov 5, 2014.

1. LochErnepioneer

LochErnepioneer New Egg

Nov 1, 2014
    Hi our names are Mike and Ruth Quinn, at present we live in rural Aberdeenshire,but we are moving to County Fermanagh, near Belleek in April of next year. Hopefully we can have some contact with some of you then We are hoping to have 6 chickens and a 12 x 6 run. havent made up my mind as to whether im going to build a coop or to buy a ready made one,. any suggestions

2. HighStreetCoop

HighStreetCoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2014
    Oakland, CA
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I can't help with the coop, as I have no idea what the prefab options are in Ireland (all I do know my mother is determined to retire there; she has "her village" all picked out and everything, LOL!). I'm a big fan of finding a handyman to build stuff I can't manage to cobble together on my own.

3. Greywolf1962

Greywolf1962 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2014
    Huntsville, Tx.
    Welcome to BYC. be sure to ask alot if questions for there are alot of very "chicken wise" folks on here to help you out.

4. Naser

Naser Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 29, 2014
    Ireland
    Hi .
    From B&Q buy a plastic shed. they sell it about 300 Euro. "buy a strong one". then buy tree stakes "2 inches wide" , paint them and use them as perches using a drill, screws and round washers to fix them across the shed. they work as perches and enforcement for the shed. plastic lasts much longer, you don't need to paint it. less likely to have red mites problem, much easier to clean and if you decide to give up chicken keeping you can use the plastic shed as a shed.
    And when you get morehens disease you will find it as a blessing because it can hold many more hens than any coop.
    "don't use the plastic base. keep the floor just soil. a bag of compost will be great. you can use the "enriched compost" to grow your favourite plants later.
    You can use the plastic base for something else.
    Around the plastic shed build a run of your choice depending on your budget, garden and predator problems in your area.
    Good luck.

OPPs
    B&Q are already selling timber bars with round edges for about 4.5 Euro they are good as perches

Last edited: Nov 5, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by