Good First Time Chicken Owner Breed?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Sk8inChick(en), Mar 14, 2012.

1. Sk8inChick(en)

Sk8inChick(en) Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2011
    The Show-Me State
    Hello,

I'm going to get my first set of chicks pretty soon, but I'm undecided on which breed as of yet.

The main ones I'm considering are:

Buff Orpington
    Light Brahma
    Australorp
    Silkies, but there is the pullet/cockerel issue with chicks being only available as straight run.

If anyone could tell me which of these would be best for a first-time chicken owner, that would be great.

Thank you!

I know I've already posted a thread similar to this, but I've narrowed down my list since then. :)

Last edited: Mar 14, 2012
  2. FireTigeris

FireTigeris Tyger! Tyger! burning bright

Can you have roosters where you are?

What size is your coop and run?

I like my light Brahmas but they are huge!

Do you want lots of eggs? several of your picks gor broody often or always and don't lay many eggs

3. Chicks on DL

Chicks on DL Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2012
    West Coast, Florida.
    Are you getting chickens for eggs or just as pets?
    Are you looking for a breed that is very friendly and that is why Australorp and Buff Orphington is on your list?
    If you want a friendly chicken that is a good layer pick the Australorp or Orphington. I don't know about Brahma's temperment but they are more free range. I don't know about silkies.

4. tigercreek

tigercreek Chillin' With My Peeps

Love my Aussies, and I think that if you are going to get hatchery birds, Aussies seem to be better quality than most other hatchery breeds. I considered Orpingtons when I was starting, and am glad I went with Aussies and Rocks. ....stan

5. Sk8inChick(en)

Sk8inChick(en) Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2011
    The Show-Me State
    Thank you for the replies!

I'm interested in getting 3-4 hens for a small backyard coop with a little run attached. They wouldn't be free range, but I could let them out for an hour or two in the evening.

I can't have roosters, and don't want any. [​IMG]

I would enjoy getting eggs from the flock, but having an industrial layer is not important to me.

Again, thanks for all your replies! :)

6. CSWolffe

CSWolffe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Salt Lake City
    I suggest you don't go for the production layers then. Most hens only lay well for a few years, and the production breeds tend to 'run out' sooner. RIRs, Sex Links, Australorps, Bared Rocks, Orpingtons, are all production layers with good personalities.
    Wellsumers, Marans, Barnevelders, Sussex, Anconas, and Easter Eggers are also great back yard birds, and while they don't lay as many per week they tend to lay longer. I suggest getting an EE, an Ancona or Sussex, and either a Wellsumer or Marans. That way you have a variety of lovely birds, and your basket will be nice and pretty with white or brown, blue, and dark brown eggs.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by