Good food dehydrator?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by mamagardener, Sep 27, 2009.

1. mamagardener

mamagardener Chillin' With My Peeps

I am looking for a good food dehydrator, that works good but is not too expensive. I was hoping someone could recommend one to me. I basically want it for jerky and dried fruits. Any recommendations anyone?

2. Boyd

Boyd Recipient of The Biff Twang

Mar 14, 2009
    MI
  3. mamagardener

mamagardener Chillin' With My Peeps

Thanks Boyd, there are so many different kinds it is so hard to choose. If you go on Amazon, they have so many to choose from. My mind is boggled.

4. Boyd

Boyd Recipient of The Biff Twang

Mar 14, 2009
    MI
    all I can say is my dad got that one, it came with 8 trays, and all kinds of accessories, and being a 1000w heating element, you can use up to 30 trays on it without having to rotate the trays. He filled the shelves in the back room with everything he canned and dried this year. 150ish is a little pricey, but for what he did, it was well worth it..........

PS, with all the apples, peaches and pears that were left on tree, we trimmed the wormy buggy areas off, mushed/processed and then poured on accessory screens to make fruit roll ups [​IMG]

5. Royd

Royd Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2009
    Middleburg, Fl.
    I've had one which is called an Excaliber, by Parallex, for about six years. It's variable heat, forced air, with 8 trays.... I bought it from Cabela's for somewhere around $100. I can't remember, exactly.
    I've made plenty of jerky,with it.

You get what you pay for.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by