Good foods?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by maryellen21, Jan 22, 2015.

1. maryellen21

maryellen21 Chillin' With My Peeps

I started out feeding dumor when chicks were little then went to purina layer crumble. Since Dora might have a vit B deficiency and purina is being investigated by the FDA for dog food issues i want to feed something else.

What does everyone feed? I'm in northern nj and have access to tractor supply and a few small mom & pop feed stores

2. matt44644

matt44644 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2014
    Sanilac County,Michigan
    The purina name is owned by Nestle.
    Purina dog food is owned by Nestle.
    Purina animal feed is licensed by Land O Lakes in the USA.
    Purina animal feed is licensed by Cargill outside the USA.

3. TalkALittle

TalkALittle Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2014
    Massachusetts
    Purina produces Dumor for TSC. It's produced at the same mills with the same grains, just privately labeled for TSC. I got that straight from someone at TSC.

4. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    IMHO, any brand of chicken feed will have all the nutrients they need in the correct ratios. What ingredients they blend to achieve those ratios will be different. Purina is just fine.

If you want to supplement a little more animal protein, vitamins and minerals for breeders that might be a good idea. If you just have laying hens, straight chicken feed is sufficient.

1 person likes this.
  5. maryellen21

I have straight pet layers. Purina is in trouble with the FDA right now with their dog food issues so i question their feed procedures.

6. matt44644

matt44644 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2014
    Sanilac County,Michigan
    Purina dog food is not made by the same as Purina livestock feed.
    from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Purina_Mills
    Ralston Purina sold Purina Mills, the U.S. animal feed business, to British Petroleum in 1986, while retaining the pet food and international animal feed businesses. In 1993, the Sterling Group of Houston led a leveraged buyout of Purina Mills. In 1998, it was purchased by Koch Industries, but a U.S. bankruptcy court cancelled out all equity held by Koch to maintain the company’s viability. Purina Mills was purchased by Land O'Lakes in 2001.[2]
    Purina Mills licenses the Purina and Chow Brands for the United States and its territories (including Puerto Rico) from the successor of the Ralston Purina Company and owner of the trademarks, Nestlé Purina PetCare.
    Outside of the U.S., the rights to the Purina brand for animal feeds is owned by Cargill [3][4] (in Canada, the feed business is known as Agribrands Purina Canada, Inc.[5]).

Last edited: Jan 22, 2015
  7. maryellen21

OMG you are a wealth of info Matt!!!! Thank you!!!

8. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by