1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Good for 17 chickens

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by meno460, Sep 1, 2016.

1. meno460

meno460 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 26, 2016
    About how much food should 17 chickens eat a day?

2. mpgo4th

mpgo4th Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2013
    5-6lbs. Given 1/3 pound per bird. Must easier to hang a feeder and fill when low.

3. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

I have 11 right now and I do not use a Chicken feeder, I use a rubber stock dish..I never thought of it? I just keep the bowl full..Plus mine free range..It depends on other treats, and free ranging..Mine are healthy so I guess they eat enough?

4. Intheswamp

Intheswamp Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    South Alabama
    Free ranging will lower the feed bill. Also, people feeding fermented feed report up to a 50% savings in their feed bills.

Best wishes,
    Ed

5. farmgirllvo

farmgirllvo Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2016
    I give mine a icecream bucket full of fermented food each day, they free range all day long and are laying actively
    I have 32 chickens total

6. meno460

meno460 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 26, 2016
    With free ranging, how do you get them to go back to the coop at night. There are a lot of coyotes where I live so I would really worry about them at night

7. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

To train them I let them out about an hour before dark...When you first let them out, sit with them...They usually will not venture off to far from the coop or run...You might have to herd them in but as long as you do no chase them, they will go back to the safety of the coop....

8. farmgirllvo

farmgirllvo Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2016
    I keep mine in the coop all winter long and than they go in at dusk, they know it's bedtime.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by