Good girls x2!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by LedgeWoods, Sep 9, 2010.

1. LedgeWoods

LedgeWoods Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    Midwest
    Had to round up the girls early this evening due to an appointment in a town 30 miles away. At "role call" I was 6 chickens short - 4 buffs, 1 red & 1 black. DH & I looked and called all over the yard - about 4 acres worth...with no responses. They've been taking a liking to the neighboring corn field lately, so I figured the were adventuring in a bit too far to hear me call. SO...we get home around 8:00 this evening...and as we drove in the driveway the resident fox was scurrying away. Oh crap. Literally, I ran to the coop and found the red, the black & 2 buffs huddled on the ramp outside the entrance. My daughter & I quickly brought them in with the other girls (as I was trying to sound optimistic to my daughter so she wouldn't think the worst with the other 2 buffs!). Did a quick search around, called a bit, but no other chickens. Uh oh....had a pit in my stomach thinking the fox got a cheap meal. Went back in the house, got some flashlights & my son then went to where the fox was spotted. No feathers, no sign of trouble. Went back to the cluster of trees near the coop and about 8 feet up THERE THEY WERE!!!! All snug, safe and sound & not saying a peep! I got a stool, brought one down for my son to take back into the coop and I took the other. When I placed her up on a roost, I noticed a perfect little pullet egg in one of the nest boxes...that makes 7 eggs for today! It's all good in the 41 Cluckers Coop with an extra happy ending to the day. I'm amazed at how much these little feathered critters can steal your heart!

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Glad they all got home safe and sound.

3. pgpoultry

pgpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    My goodness....somebody was watching over you that day.

sandie

4. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Lucky girls! That's a little too close though, with a fox patrolling.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by