Good Golly Miss Molly

Kim95037

Songster
11 Years
May 27, 2012
Morgan Hill California
So poor Molly one of my Barred Rocks has been limping for a while, she is 4 years old. I started massaging her little legs and I bought some DMSO to help her out. I picked up my other Barred Rock today and I couldn't believe the difference in between Tilda's legs and Molly's legs. On Molly, the first joint above the foot is HUGE. Its like a big knob. The left side is worse than right side. There is like NO knobbyness in Tilda's legs at all. I took Molly to the vet a while back, they took xrays so nothing is broken. We think she may have sprained it and now Im wondering if some really bad arthritis has set in? Does anyone know what can be done for that? I'm wondering if you can give chickens gluchosamine chondroiton ? I know they make it for dogs. I just feel so bad and I want to do everything I can to help her out. She is such a sweetheart and I love her dearly. Thanks for any input anyone can give, I really appreciate it! This is a picture of her just hanging out and sitting on the grass, which she does a lot right now. She doesnt scratch the ground anymore with her legs like the other chickens do, she only uses her beak now......

What a lovely girl you have :). Omega fatty acids are great to reduce joint pain and inflammation. Lean protein and plant based diet should provide some relief. Good luck I hope you can find something that will elevate your gals sore legs :(

There are a number of potential causes, of which arthritis is only one. Here's a website that may be helpful to many of us, since it is divided into areas of the body, them symptoms, them possible causes.

http://www.apa-abayouthpoultryclub.... SYMPTOMS FOR DIAGNOSING POULTRY DISEASES.pdf

As unlikely as it is, has the hen been NPIP tested to rule out pullorum? I would do so if possible. Since bacteria can cause osteomyelitis, a course of amoxicillin might help and won't hurt. Zinc deficiency was also on the list, but I would expect more birds than Molly to be affected (unless she is the oldest--in which case, still consider zinc supplements).

I'm not sure if chrondroitin/glucosamine helps with chickens, but it often helps dogs and some people. It can take several weeks to see any improvement, and the swelling would not go down--it would just decrease discomfort.

If she is a pet or you have the time, warm water (like hot tub temp) soaks a few times a week might at least make her feel better and increase circulation to her legs.

Good luck to you both!

Dangit I hit the stupid send button too early I will look up pollorum. I do have some antibiotics so maybe I will go ahead and give her some. I can give her a soak I've been thinking about trying that. How does one go about giving a chicken a zinc supplement? What would the dose be?

Back
Top Bottom