1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Good Golly, what do I do now?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by living2ride, May 6, 2008.

1. living2ride

living2ride Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2008
    Illinois
    I have 20 duck eggs in the bator. Friday is day 28. I went down to turn them this morning and I get to about the fifth one, flip it over, and it has a pip! I stepped back and another egg is rocking. Then I hear chirping. What the heck? And now what do I do? Do I flip all of them that I turned back into the previous position or just leave them turned? I was just complaining about duck eggs taking so long. Guess that's what I get! And of course, I'm totally unprepared. What would you guys suggest I do about the ones that I had turned?

2. living2ride

Feb 17, 2008
    Illinois
    Well, since nobody offered any suggestions... LOL...
    I just left the ones I'd already turned and didn't turn the rest. I've upped my humidity and now I'm just waiting. I had to leave to go to work for a few hours, but I'm back home and temps and humidity are still holding steady and I now have TWO early pips. No ducklings yet though. I've never hatched ducks before, so I'm pretty excited about the whole thing. I just find it fascinating that they can pip those TOUGH shells and membranes with that big ol' rounded bill! Amazing!

3. ChelleEnchanted

ChelleEnchanted Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2008
    Ohio
    Haha, Keep your hands off now!

Just watch and wait, hope for the best.

4. knynrstylvr222

knynrstylvr222 Out Of The Brooder

May 5, 2008
    I thought the icubation period for ducks is supposed to be 28 days?? If so they are right on schedule right?? I could be wrong but that is what I have read

5. tat2edlady

tat2edlady Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2008
    I feel your surprise as my first time hatching ducks just over they pip and hatched like on day 25 and 26 so just hang in there and step away from the bator..

Ps sending good hatching vibes

Mindy

6. Bantymama

Bantymama Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2007
    MN
    Leave the bator closed and keep the humidity up. I have duck eggs on day 28 and one just pipped. It rocked for 2 days before it pipped though. I'm learning patience with my duck eggs, they are slow and poky. Sending good vibs and can't wait to see pics. What kind of ducks are they.

7. living2ride

Feb 17, 2008
    Illinois
    Quote:Yes, but yesterday was day 25! I think the one that pipped the earliest has died in the shell though. He pipped a big enough hole to stick his beak out and it was always moving a little and you could see him breathing and now he isn't moving at all. [​IMG] There are about 5 more pips now this morning and they're all still moving. Fingers crossed...

8. living2ride

Feb 17, 2008
    Illinois
    Quote:There are 12 Rouens for my neighbor and 8 Golden Cascades for me. [​IMG]

9. living2ride

Feb 17, 2008
    Illinois
    I have such a love/hate relationship with this whole hatching process...
    So I taped a Q-tip to a pencil and put it through a hole in the incubator and gently pushed the bill of the first pipper. It didn't move at all. I'm certain it's now dead. Then I poked another one that hasn't shown any movement at all in a few hours and, unfortunately, same response. Wah!!!! What's the deal? I have FOUR thermometer/humidity things in there - two with water wigglers - because I want these to turn out okay so badly! Temps in wigglers: 99.3 - 99.7 Air temps: 101.7 - 102.3 Humidity: 75-83% - just a little condensation on the glass. I have a bunch pipping now and I don't want to lose them all, but of course, now I'm paranoid that I will. Come on little duckies! I'm going to go nutso here! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by