Good Grief! Coccidiosis? UPDATE!! SULMET or CORRID???

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Jencleg, Jun 13, 2011.

1. Jencleg

Jencleg Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2011
    Jasper
    [​IMG] Will the chic drama EVER end? I have (1) 9 week and (2) 2 1/2 week old cochins that we have worked very hard to take care of and so far they have been the picture of health. That being said, my husband of whom I love [​IMG] very much has NOT been involved in my new hobby at all and refused to believe that I have learned anything just by reading all I can on raising chicks. He thinks that since he grew up redneck, he has some ever lasting knowledge of farm life [​IMG] .....SOOO when he showed up with (3) fully feathered pullets on Sat, a prize for me I was very suprised and very nervous. I told him to please put them in a seperate spot when they got home & I would watch them since thier poop looked a little strange to me & he said it was just their feed. [​IMG] I get home that evening & I see them in the coop with my babies. He said nobody pecked at anybody so they should be fine..... [​IMG] Fast forward Sunday morning.... I find (1) of the new chicks DEAD & 1 looking not so far from it. It just sits there all puffed up with it's eyes closed and chirps all the time! The third chick looks pretty healthy but is constanly bothered by the sickly one that is always trying to get under her. I seperated them at that point & I noticed the new chicks poo looked like it had blood in it, but when I looked at the poo chart it was not as dramatic as the chart picture. It looked more like the last three with the intestinal lining. With just red spotches in it.

http://www.chat.allotment.org.uk/index.php?topic=17568.0

What do I do now? How do I figure out what is wrong with them & with them being in there overnight, will my babies get what ever it is? Thank you for all your time!

My store is out of Corrid till Thursday but they have Sulmet? Will that work??

Last edited: Jun 13, 2011
  2. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Treat for cocci, right away. You don't have to have blood to be coccidiosis. There are 9 different types. When you mix up the med and the water, put a few drops in their mouth, right away.

3. Jencleg

May 5, 2011
    Jasper
    Quote:Does it sound like that? Do I treat them all? And with what?? And How?? [​IMG] Soo confused! and mad! and confused!

4. Jencleg

May 5, 2011
    Jasper
    Ok so I just watched a video that showed a chick with coccidiosis and the only symptoms I see is the standing still with it's eyes closed. Now that I think about it, when I first put the chicks out in the other cage, I felt for sure that the sick one was not going to last long, but after a few hours she perked up a bit foraging for food. I am pretty sure that they may have went too long in the heat and in the box my husband bought them. Pehaps with out water also. (I was at a wedding.) But I do know that this mornign it was still alive, still a little weak looking and driving the other chick crazy. I just cant figure out the constant chirping!

5. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    I would put them all on medicated feed and toss any eggs from the newbies. You could separate them now of course and that can't hurt. You could also treat the older ones with something more powerful. Adding new birds is stressful. In fact any change is stressful to chickens.

Folks don't realize that the number one killer of chickens is......................................STRESS! Lord have mercy National Geographic did a show on Killer Stress. Why?

Because stress weakens the immune system. This is not only true of chickens but other animals and people too. I got real sick the first time I met my mother in law. [​IMG]

I would also dose DH's morning coffee with common sense. Just don't tell him. [​IMG] I also hear that Fels Naptha soap works wonder on "red necks". [​IMG]

Seriously treat the birds and hopefully things will be fine.

I wish you the best

Rancher

6. Jencleg

May 5, 2011
    Jasper
    LOL! Thanks for the advice..for the chicks and the man! [​IMG] I only have the 3 original chicks & 2 fully feathered and they young so we do not have eggs yet! So what/how do I treat them with?

7. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
  8. Jencleg

May 5, 2011
    Jasper
    Quote:Thanks Dawg! So I just get a gallon of water, mix in the 9.5cc's and put it in the waterer everyday for 5-7 days? How do I know if they are getting enough? With only having 3 chicks, they dont really drink that much....I fill the waterer up like every 3 days...

And treat ALL the chicks?

9. seminolewind

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    I'm just treating, put 2 tsp Corrid in a gallon, or 1 tsp of sulfadimethoxine in a gallon. Treat everyone.

10. seminolewind

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    BYC Home | Learning Center | Breeds | Coop Designs |BYC Store| Member Pages | Recipes | Forum FAQ's

BackYardChickens Forum
    View My BYC PageCoccidiosis Information-have done alot of readingI know alot of you know this stuff already, but it is the most common killer of chicks up to 16 weeks, and can still affect some older chickens as well.

There are 9 different species of cocci that are common to infect chickens. There are coccidia spores/protozoa everywhere.

4 are mostly deadly and pretty noticeable. The chick will look very sick; not eating, hunched up, MAY have blood in the stool, it's easy to see that they're sick.

5 are not as deadly, but harder to notice. They may not eat, or not eating enough. They tend not to be as active as the others. They may not come running for a treat like the others. OR not really be noticed at all. Some may recover on their own and just end up being behind the rest in growth.

I just have one that for 2 weeks was less and less eager to come for the treat. She did sit more than the rest as well. From not eating enough, she became skinny. It "looked" like the others were beating her to the food, and she would stand away. The first symptom I noticed was that the others were growing bigger than her. Then I noticed that her crop was never full.

I took her in and randomly put her on an anticoccidial (sulfadimethoxine). She spent the next day sleeping. The second day she stood all day and ate and drank a bit. Today she's eating and drinking, and getting active. Now I went outside and will treat the rest of them for coccidiosis. There is already another that just looks "off".

Since coccidiosis is the most common ailment in young chickens, and some strains are pretty mild and not as noticeable, and may effect them over a longer period of time, and not have blood in the stool, a coccidiastat will be the first thing I use.

I hope this is helpful .

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------

RUNS WITH CHICKENSOnline
    Report | Edit | QuotePost reply
    Pages: 11Index » Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures » Coccidiosis Information-have done alot of reading
    Subscribe to this topic
    Board footerShow recent posts

| BackYardChickens.com | TheEasyGarden.com | SufficientSelf.com | BackYardHerds.com |

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by