good grief... now damage control......any suggestions?

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by Dar, Nov 11, 2010.

1. Dar

Dar Overrun With Chickens

Jul 31, 2008
    I have a friend of mine whos financial situation is well... ummmmm... not so great.

HECK NO I AM NOT LOANING MONEY!... anyway

last week her hubby called me and asked me what resort we are staying at in Cuba.. so I told him...I guess he looked into it cause he was asking questions

fast FWD to today.....
    Dear friend calls me in a panic... hubby went to the bank to get a loan to surprise wife with a trip to Cuba ... the same week that we are going... he (hubby) was going to surprise wife on her birthday with the plane tickets. We leave on her birthday... so when they showed up at the airport at the same time as us SURPRISE....[​IMG] (he did it with the best intentions)

Bank denied hubby the loan so he went to a sub prime lending place he found online... [​IMG] [​IMG]

So today this place started calling the house. Wife answered and the man on the other line asked for her hubby,

conversation went like this:
    Wife: sorry he's at work can I take a message at work ..
    the caller: "here is the Western Union information for him to transfer the money...
    Wife: What transfer?
    Caller: the deposit for the loan

can you see where this is going?

So hubby came home and explained everything... he went to this sub prime lender and because he does not have good credit the lender needed an insurance policy incase he defaulted. hubby needed to pay the $600 insurance premium and then within 45 minutes the money will be in the account and he can go and get the tickets and make this the best birthday ever for his wife... [​IMG]

she then called me in a panic....explained what happened... I told her it was a scam... run and run fast......

hubby gave this "lender" his name, address, employer, home telephone number his cell number.... thats it... no social security number was given out

any suggestions on what the next step should be?... I have no clue... I told her to report it to the RCMP.... and keep an eye on the credit report.. close any accounts he or she have opened themselves.... what else?

Last edited: Nov 11, 2010
  2. Cindiloohoo

Cindiloohoo Quiet as a Church Mouse

Dec 19, 2009
    Southwest TN
    [​IMG] Get identity theft protection for the wife for her birthday. [​IMG]

3. Dar

Dar Overrun With Chickens

Jul 31, 2008
    Quote:I thought about that but any of the companies I can find are for US Residents.... I an a wee bit further north... [​IMG]

4. HeatherLynn

HeatherLynn Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2009
    Kentucky, Cecilia
    Ok all I know is how to do this in the states but if its similar over there, he needs to put in a fraud alert through all the credit reporting agencies. She needs to do the same since I would assume over there they are linked also? Since no money has changed hands he should not owe anything. Not sure if you guys have a consumer protection agency but that would be my next step.

5. SarahBeth9394

SarahBeth9394 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2008
    Call the police and they will direct her to the correct entity for internet crimes. They need to get identity theft protection. But she also needs to tell him that if they can't afford to save up for the trip they don't need to be going. Also you need to tell him that he needs to ask if you want the surprise of people accompanying you and your hubby on vacation. I'd be ticked off is someone surprised us when we were trying to get away from it all.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by