Good hatcherys in Iowa?

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by MasterOfClucker, Nov 26, 2016.

1. MasterOfClucker

MasterOfClucker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2016
    Iowa
    Does anybody know any good hatchery's in Iowa.We would like to go there in the spring and pick out baby chicks\adults if we could.Thanks

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    The only hatchery I know in Iowa is Sandhill. They're pretty reputable but don't allow visitors for biosecurity reasons.

I rarely allow visitors here for the same reason.

You might try the Iowa thread to find someone that allows visitors.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2016
  3. MasterOfClucker

Jul 19, 2016
    Iowa
    Ok,Thanks

4. Percheron chick

Percheron chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2013
    Boulder, Colorado
    x1000
    If they (any size breeder or hatchery) allows you to walk through their operation, that should be a major red flag so take your business elsewhere.

Welp is in Iowa but they contract with other hatcheries so I couldn't tell you what breeds would be available. They might have local pickup.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2016
  5. MasterOfClucker

Jul 19, 2016
    Iowa
    Why is a walk through a bad thing?.I thought if they let you go in there place it would be better.

6. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    It isn't worth the danger of a visitor bringing in a disease on their feet, clothes or vehicle that could endanger all the breeders on the property.

H5N1 resulted in culling millions of chickens and turkeys in the Midwest and West last spring.
    Right now 10 European countries and India are dealing with massive outbreaks of H5N8.
    Large poultry operations require workers to change clothes and boots in a clean room before they come in contact with poultry.
    They use one color indoors and another color outdoors so any employee can spot someone not in compliance.

Our chicken group has coop tours frequently. However, we have boot washes at each site and I don't let anyone on the property that has chickens or has visited a place with poultry. I make everyone else wear disposable plastic boots.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  7. Folly's place

Folly's place Chicken Obsessed

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    x2 on all counts! Mail order chicks work out very well most often, and no good hatchery wants visitors! My flock is as isolated as I can make it too. Mary

8. MasterOfClucker

Jul 19, 2016
    Iowa
    Ok,Thanks i will order them next spring

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by