Good, Healthy Rooster to Protect Hens

Discussion in 'Chickens 8 Weeks & Older' started by Gresh, Sep 4, 2013.

1. Gresh

Gresh Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2011
    North Carolina
    Hello, BYCers!

I am in need of a good, healthy rooster to protect my flock of hens. I just moved to an area in which there are hawks, and a neighbor of mine had his flock terrorized by birds of prey, so I am in dire straits.

I am especially interested in a large, dark colored rooster as I hear such size and color intimidates hawks. However, if you have a rooster that is smaller and/or lighter colored but is known to be a reliable protector, I would be interested. Don't contact me, however, if your rooster has suffered disease (even if he has recovered from it) or if he is from a flock that has recently been infected with disease. I won't take such a bird.

I live near Wilkesboro, NC, so if you live in this area and have a healthy rooster that is a good protector, please PM me and we can talk about meeting time and place.

God bless,
    ~Gresh~

2. jenifry

jenifry Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2012
    South Dakota
    I wish you weren't so far away. My kids have hand raised my chickens, and lo and behold, one is a rooster we can't have!! He's awesome. He takes on the neighbor's cats to keep his girls safe and he is only 6 months old. :(

3. Gresh

Jul 9, 2011
    North Carolina
    Wow, sounds like he's got the makings of a great protector. Too bad I'm not closer. Do you even live in NC?

4. jenifry

jenifry Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2012
    South Dakota
    No, South Dakota. :) I visited NC last spring, and if there were jobs and housing that fit my education and income, I would move there in a heartbeat! Your trees are GORGEOUS.

5. Gresh

Jul 9, 2011
    North Carolina
    Lol, you ought to see our mountains. They're the best part of the state in my opinion

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by