Good helpers! - story of the growboxex

Ravishaw

Songster
9 Years
May 7, 2010
With young kids I think it's important to build recognition that they helped in a project. Our son helped us put together, paint and enjoy our growboxes we put together last weekend. I thought that from a chicken's point of view, this would make a fun story to tell at night, and he would still recognize himself as having helped and take some pride in it.

So without further ado... The story of the growboxes!

Early Saturday the big guy (Daddy) asked us to help him put together some growboxes. He asked the Barred Rocks, the Americaunas, the Rhode Island Reds, and the wynadottes. The wynadottes can be seen disappearing over the horizon after they were asked. Some hens just can't bring themselves to an honest day's work.
1.jpg

So those of us who would be working got our tools organized,
3.jpg

Sawed up some lumber,
2.jpg

and got to work.
Daisy ran the wheelbarrow all day, making sure the big guy kept it full of nice clean mulch and dirt.
4.jpg

Then there was the little big guy. He seemed to take a liking to making noise. We hens have been teaching him the value of always making noise. Instead of our cultured growls he seems to like banging stuff together and listening to the ensuing echos. He is very energetic, sometimes chasing us hens around laughing. I can't figure out why he took those things off his feet though, seems they'd be particularly useful in avoiding the green stuff on the ground.
6.jpg

jimmy.jpg

Mrs. Big guy was there. She helped us paint the growboxes with the little big guy. They look like terrific perches too! The two of them, Mrs. big guy and the little big guy provided refreshments too.
5.jpg

7.jpg

When it was all done, Mrs. big guy went inside to read up on mixing dirt with the mulch, and Mr. big guy stayed outside to massage us poor tired hens. We all took turns like good little hens, and we would get our ears rubbed, and our backs scritched.
daddy.jpg

momma.jpg

Some of the girls were ready for more refreshments,
8.jpg

Others were ready for a bath.
9.jpg

Me, I was quite ready for the next job. I jumped on my riding mower and fired it up to get the lawn nice and mowed so we hens could find more bugs. That's me, right there. I'm Rhonda the Rhode Island Red!
19.jpg

Thanks for reading!

oH IT WAS A VERY GOOD STORY!!!! I'm still waiting to start my coop and pick my birds. You need to scrapbook this story for Little mr. big man.

Back
Top Bottom