Good Idea or Bad Idea?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Captain Cluck, Nov 23, 2010.

1. Captain Cluck

Captain Cluck Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2009
    Central Florida
    Our Silkie hen was injured last summer and now has one paralyzed leg. She is being kept with some young chicks and is let out daily for some play time with the flock. The hens peck at her and the silkie roo tries to breed her, but I shoo them away. Is that a mistake? I don't want them to kill her, but she needs to be socialized if she is going to live in the coop with them (right now she lives in a huge dog crate).

Also, should I let the roo breed her? Or is that a bad idea? She laid her first egg today, so it will be a while before I let them 'do the deed'. I am hoping to get some silkie chicks from her, but if that is a bad idea, I won't do it.

2. mulewagon

mulewagon Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2010
    Alabama
    If she's injured and unable to defend herself, the other hens are likely to keep pecking at her, and may kill her. And being jumped on by the rooster isn't going to do that leg any good.

Sorry to say it, but unless she gets well, she won't be safe with a flock.

3. Captain Cluck

Captain Cluck Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2009
    Central Florida
    Her bad leg sticks out to the side all the time. She mostly uses it to balance when she is standing. I tried massage therapy when she was first injured, but it didn't seem to help. She has basically no use of that leg. I think she has a pinched nerve and I am not a chiropractor.

She hops wherever she wants to go, unless she is not in a hurry, then she scoots. When she is not hopping, she is "setting". I was hoping the hens would accept her, but I have enough room in the coop and will make her a private apartment.

Can you suggest something to help get the leg usable again? or is that pointless now?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by