good idea or not?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by SuziQ991, Nov 14, 2010.

1. SuziQ991

SuziQ991 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2009
    Missouri
    I need some input. I have two flocks, the set up is a coop on each end and two reinforced dog pens divided in two in the middle. The smaller coop is 8x4 with a 10x10 run. The other is a 10x12 coop with a 10x20 run. I have a total of 19 chickens and 6 of them being cockerals, two were raised together in the small pen and the other four in the large pen. Of course there were hens and pullets mixed in both pens. Today I decided to make a bachelor pad and put 5 of the six cockerals in the small pen. I put all the hens and pullets in the large pen and left one cockeral in there. Well, no one was killed yet [​IMG]. They have seen each other through the fence since they were 6 weeks old. Of course there was some ruckus and I am still keeping an eye on them. My question is: Is it ok to have all the cockerals right next to all the hens and pullets just sharing the fence? They can see them but not get to them. The reason I ask is the cockerals are just pacing the fence back and forth. Will they get over this or is it just pure torture for them LOL? I know I need to downsize on the cockerals. I have two on Craiglsist now. They are beautiful but just mutts. The other four are my new project you could say. I incubated eggs this year. I have Ameracanas, Marans and a combination of the two. Any advise is appreciated!

2. TeamChaos

TeamChaos Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2009
    I'm new to chickens, I have to preface everything I say here with that [​IMG]
    I had a situation where I had ten males included in my order for warmth and I raised them right along with the girls up until the magic age when they started to chase the ladies- I had 15 girls and 11 boys at that point. Before I got the rooster coop built, I'd put the boys outside of the enclosure every morning when I let them all out of the coop. The boys would pace the fenceline and fight each other in hopes of impressing the ladies. I thought the novelty would wear off and they'd decide to explore the 80 acres surrounding them and, over time, a few of them did- but the majority of the dudes hung out and paced the fence and picked fights for the duration of the time i had them. Even when I moved them out of the line of sight to the rooster coop, five or six of the guys would just about break their necks to get down to the fence and dance for the ladies until nightfall:rolleyes:

3. SuziQ991

SuziQ991 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2009
    Missouri
    Thank you for the reply. I thought that would be the case. I hoped maybe they would get better but I think they will end up like yours. Crazy boys! I think I may need to chose a few more to rehome.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by