Good ideas for run roosts?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by LunaChickie, Sep 30, 2016.

1. LunaChickie

LunaChickie Out Of The Brooder

Jan 26, 2016
    I was thinking of putting in some type of stump at a few different heights but I have no idea where to even look for such a thing. Any other ideas I could use to get some 'up out of the way' spaces? I have recently been introducing a new hen (yes, I know, one is hard..believe me I know...) and I feel like getting some better 'up' spots might help curb some anxiety in her and boredom in the rest.

What do you use for off the ground spaces?

2. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

Old wooden chair, wooden ladders...Bench, and Stumps.....Contact someone who sells firewood....They might have stumps?

Cheers!

3. LunaChickie

Jan 26, 2016
    Thanks for the ideas!

4. rosemarythyme

rosemarythyme Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2016
    Pac NW
    Not sure how your run is set up but mine is chain link, so we just get branches and jam them in the corners using the chain link as support. You can also do things like setting up 2 sawhorses or wood ladders with branches spanning the gap, I've seen many photos of people with set ups like that. Doesn't have to be anything fancy - chickens aren't that picky!

5. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    My flock is in love with their play house: pallet supported by 2 bales of hay.

6. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    I do much the same.....
    ...2x4 welded wire for run walls/roof and 2x2's jammed in across corners for roosts...
    ....also big 'Y' shaped branch, with 2 ends stuck thru wire wall and single leg resting on a concrete block sitting tall (16").

Mind to keep your run roosts lower than the roosts in the coop, or they may decide sleeping in the run is preferable as the highest place possible.

barred2rock likes this.
  7. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    You could contact a local tree service to see about getting a stump or log, something like that. Or a firewood seller. Or wait for a good storm and go knocking on doors when the trees start falling down [​IMG]

Utilizing vertical space is a great idea. Even something like a folding metal chair, placed in the run will keep their interest. Some folks use chicken swings [​IMG]. Pallets on cinder blocks or straw bales are good, they also provide a sheltered hiding place underneath for the new bird to get a break from the rest of the flock.

8. LunaChickie

Jan 26, 2016
    Thanks everyone!

I laughed at the thought of stalking downed trees HAHA!! "Hi sir, can I uh..help you..um..dispose of your tree a bit?" hehe!!

9. rosemarythyme

rosemarythyme Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2016
    Pac NW
    Actually in many cases people are happy to get rid of things like downed branches. They'd have to clear them out anyway so you hauling a few off (with the homeowner's permission of course) is beneficial to both of you.

10. LunaChickie

Jan 26, 2016

Oh for sure. I know I'd be happy to have the help. Maybe I'll make a post in an online yardsale group.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by