Good indoor only/mostly breeds?

RexyKai

Hatching
Aug 18, 2018
I'm moving into a new place soon and I have been thinking now that ill finally have Independence from my guardians id like to raise a pair of hens! unfortunately ill be moving into an apartment complex so an outdoor coop and run will likely not be possible. So I was wondering if anyone knew any Fowl that do well with a mostly indoor lifestyle , keep in mind the birds will need to be small and also be comfortable with confined spaces as i plan to modify a large rabbit hutch for their nesting place.

A pair of ringneck or diamond doves would be a good choice for an apartment. You might also think about a parakeet or cockatiel. You will have to check if they are allowed, some apartments don't allow any pet of any kind, even cage birds. Chickens can be kept indoors, but it is not really best for them. They like to get out and scratch in the dirt, dust bath and enjoy sunbathing if it is not hot.

unfortunatly me and Doves dont mix too well, they make too much Dust, and while i love Tiels and Budgies i dont have the time or energy to keep them happy, healthy and enriched. Youre right about probably shouldnt have chickens, even seramas would probably need more space than i could provide. maybe quails?

Last edited:
If you want chickens to live indoors, probably Seramas or Silkies would be your best choices. Neither lay particularly well.
Since they are in your home, they won't really need a house/coop/crate per se. Just a low roost somewhere you will be able to clean their feces easily.
I wouldn't recommend any other breeds for a place they don't have ground access. Chickens love to dust bathe. They also produce a lot of dust/dander, so you need to be prepared for that.
Are you doing this for pets or eggs?
What country are you in?

Ko Shamo. They are small. Like all Oriental Gamefowl they are quite happy alone, have a very long lifespan (10 to 20 years), bear close confinement well, and interact with humans on a much higher level than mere barnyard chickens. I wouldn't feel confined to small, I have had Thai Games up in the house, had one trained to stay on linoleum, have one now that loves truck rides. They are more like a cat or a dog than other chickens, and don't get excited very easily if you decide to take them out. If you could find a Tuzo breeder, or any small strain of Asil, they would perform much the same. Egg production won't be great with any of these breeds, they prefer to lay a clutch and then set on them, but it won't be great with any bird suitable for that environment. High egg production cuts down on lifespan.

I'm moving into a new place soon and I have been thinking now that ill finally have Independence from my guardians id like to raise a pair of hens! unfortunately ill be moving into an apartment complex so an outdoor coop and run will likely not be possible. So I was wondering if anyone knew any Fowl that do well with a mostly indoor lifestyle , keep in mind the birds will need to be small and also be comfortable with confined spaces as i plan to modify a large rabbit hutch for their nesting place.
I have had an indoor silkie. She was the best! I recommend buying a chicken diaper so she will not be pooping all over your floor! I kept her in a large dog crate filled with pine shavings or hay. I advise that you try to take her to a park at least twice a week. If you want to know more about keeping inside chickens, please PM me. Good luck!

If you want chickens to live indoors, probably Seramas or Silkies would be your best choices. Neither lay particularly well.
Since they are in your home, they won't really need a house/coop/crate per se. Just a low roost somewhere you will be able to clean their feces easily.
I wouldn't recommend any other breeds for a place they don't have ground access. Chickens love to dust bathe. They also produce a lot of dust/dander, so you need to be prepared for that.
Are you doing this for pets or eggs?
What country are you in?
whatever bird i get will be a pet, eggs will just be a small bonus whenever they come through i will be moving into Tulsa Oklahoma in the US, i did find that they have particular laws on outdoor chicken keeping but i couldnt find anything on chickens as indoor pets.

I can pretty much guarantee that an apartment complex is not going to allow tenants to have chickens, indoors or otherwise. It doesn't hurt to ask your new landlords, but if they say no, I wouldn't try sneaking some in, because all chickens make noise, and all make a mess. It would be heartbreaking to get some and then have to give them up, or worse, have your lease terminated, because the neighbors complained. Sorry to be a naysayer, but it may be best to wait.

Back
Top Bottom