Good intentions can drive you nuts.

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by fowltemptress, Sep 8, 2008.

1. fowltemptress

fowltemptress Frugal Fan Club President

Jan 20, 2008
    I have an outdoor cage for my cockatiel on nice days, and today was one of those nice days. I had put her in the cage and went to the kitchen to get her some veggie noodles, when my dogs started to bark. I am always telling my SO to never yell at the dogs for barking, because there's usually a reason for it. Today proved my point. When I went out back to check, my neighbor was in the process of reaching into the cage.

Me - What are you doing?

Neighbor - Your bird looks lonely. I'm going to let her play with mine.

My bird is 16 years old and has lived with me since I adopted her at two. I have a perpetual glob of poop on my shoulder, since she is with me every moment I am in the house . . . and sometimes out of it, since I have a leash for her. She is thoroughly convinced she has nothing in common with any feathered creature, and would probably rather kill other cockatiels than share space with them. Add that to the question of transmittable diseases and whatnot from my neighbor's purely outdoor cockatiels, and the risk of her escaping during my neighbor's attempt at removal . . . well, I just could really do without some good intentions. Don't worry, I was scrupulously polite. It just taught me to always use the lock, even if I'll only be in the kitchen for a moment. And before anyone asks, yes, she did have a standing invitation to go into my yard, so she wasn't trespassing, just having a lapse in judgment. She really did think she was helping me [​IMG]

Just a fun fact . . . my neighbor's cockatiels consist of three females she has been trying to breed for a long time now. She doesn't really have the set up for a very good breeding program, but I'm not too worried about it [​IMG]

2. Bec

Bec THE Delaware Blue Hen

I would love to have an outdoor cage for my cockatiel ! I have had him for 12 years and he is happy to just have us (my family) around to keep him company. I thought about getting a female for him, but I worry about disease and stuff. I am sure your neighbor was just trying to help, but I agree, a lock is a good idea!!!

3. newchickenfamily

newchickenfamily Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] Wow! That's a lot of nerve, even if she was trying to be nice! Definitely get a lock pronto!

4. shay20

shay20 Shay's Flock of Fun

Jul 31, 2008
    in the wild, Mass
    Thats not right, nobody should try to touch another bird, We had a party one time, we herd a lot of noise coming from our garage at night , came to check, and someone was trying to fight our birds together. my husband kicked him out, he was ready to jump on him. :|

5. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    Wow that was a close call. Good save. [​IMG]

6. SpeckledHills

SpeckledHills Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2008
    Idaho/Utah
    fowltemptress, So glad you were able to catch your neighbor before she carried out her intention. A big relief for you and your bird!
    shay20, How appalling for a guest to do something like that!!

7. shay20

shay20 Shay's Flock of Fun

Jul 31, 2008
    in the wild, Mass
    Quote:Yey, i coudnot belive it. :|

8. fowltemptress

fowltemptress Frugal Fan Club President

Jan 20, 2008
    Wow, shay, I'm surprised you just kicked him out instead of tearing him to pieces. At least my neighbor wasn't trying to harm my bird. Ugh.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2008
  9. hcammack

hcammack Overrun With Chickens

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    well here the neighbors are all to afraid to touch my "icky" chickens [​IMG] I do let the smaller kids hold them and come over to do so whenever but only with adults and also I told them hold out your hand and they will come over to you no chasing them all over trying to "pet" them. I will be even more careful about it when I get chicks. I am glad you caught the nutty bird lady in the act LOL I know allot of nutty bird people. Shay20 their would and been fists flying over here for even trying ( nothing would happen I have all hens LOL)

Good Luck with all our nutty neighbors,
    Henry

10. kstaven

kstaven Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    BC, Washington Border
    Send your neighbor over to my place to try take my macaws out of their flight pens. [​IMG]

She just may learn a lesson or two.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by