Good knife set...suggestion

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by porkchop48, Oct 6, 2011.

1. porkchop48

porkchop48 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2008
    Malta, OH
    I am hoping to get DH a good knife set for christmas.

We do a lot of butchering and I think one would come in handy.

Any suggestions?

2. justbugged

justbugged Head of the Night Crew for WA State

Jan 27, 2009
    Enumclaw
    We a set of Henkles Professional knives that we use for butchering. I also have a very good wet stone to sharpen the knives as needed. The other brand I would recomend is Wusthof. The knives are not cheap, but I don't think that you would ever need to buy another set of knives in a lifetime.

3. woodmort

woodmort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    Quote:I agree---have a set of Wusthof knives and they have worked well--hold their edge and easily sharpened. But, as above, they aren't cheap--you'll get what you pay for but, then again, you're only buying them once.

4. woodmort

woodmort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    Quote:I agree---have a set of Wusthof knives and they have worked well--hold their edge and easily sharpened. But, as above, they aren't cheap--you'll get what you pay for but, then again, you're only buying them once. BTW, I'm a believer in buying the best the first time--while it may cost more initially you won't suffer buyer's remorse and end up having to repurchase again in a short time. Quality lasts.

5. KenK

KenK Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2011
    Georgia
    I have Henckels and Wusthof knives and like them about equally well. They are what I prefer for use in the kitchen. I like Dexter-Russell knives for butchering.

6. ChooksinChoppers

ChooksinChoppers Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2011
    Ocala, Florida.
    I have a really good quality Forschner knife I bought in Australia but it never had a really sharp edge to it and I should get it professionaly sharpened..so I put it away and don't use it at all. The bistro I worked at in Aus the chef there told me to go to the chinese grocery store and get a couple of their knives! Wow those things were like razors and you could shave the hairs on your arm with them [​IMG] Cheap too! but at $5 each who cares if you have to replace them? I really hate having to hack at something to cut it

7. ChikeeMomma

ChikeeMomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2009
    Mid Michigan
    Wusthofs are my absolute favorite!!! Pretty pricey, as others have mentioned. Mine was a gift. I do have a set of Henckels Professional knives that I've had for 10 years and are used regularly. This was before you could buy them EVERYWHERE. So I have no idea if the quality has gone downhill. Wusthof gets my vote! Pricey, yes, but IMO the best!

8. porkchop48

porkchop48 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2008
    Malta, OH
    Thanks guys.

I knew I was going to spend a pretty penny but I want a good set that is going to last. I will check out the types mentioned.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by