Good laying breed for confined space?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by gbeauvin, Jun 28, 2010.

1. gbeauvin

gbeauvin Out Of The Brooder

Jun 22, 2010
    Heyo! I was wondering what might make a good chicken breed for smaller spaces? They wouldn't be able to free-range, though they'd have a run. I'd be looking for eggs. I was thinking of a bantam because they're smaller, but I dunno if maybe they like to range more or something, so I figured I'd ask! I'm thinking 3-4 chickens, and would hope for a dozen eggs a week. Since it'd be hens-only I suppose I could do 1 each of several varieties, but figured it might be easier to get ahold of 3 or 4 of the same flavor.

-GB

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Hi there GB-

I would get a standard sized chicken if I was you because if you get a bantam, you'll have smaller eggs. Anyhow, here are some suggestions:

Excellent egg layers that do well in confined spaces are: Rhode Island Red, Golden Sex Link, Black Astrolorp
    These are all brown egg layers.

Very Good egg layers that do well in convined spaces are: Speckled Sussex, Wyandottes, Jersey Giants, Barred Rocks

I personally like the Golden Sex Links because the hens weigh around 4 lbs, and they lay a nice large brown egg, almost daily. I also love the Speckled Sussex and Wyandottes because they're so beautiful.

Good luck to you!

Sharon

3. Morgan7782

Morgan7782 Dense Egg Goo

Mar 22, 2010
    Sacramento CA
    I want to second the Barred Plymouth Rock suggestion. They are wonderful wonderful birds. Very personable, GREAT layers in heat and thick snowy winters. I have 1 Barred Rock and 1 Easter Egger, both are kept in a smallish coop at the moment, and they do just fine. Neither has begun pecking, or bullying. I had Barred Rocks years ago who laid me an egg darn near every day, including through feet of snow! When I had them, they were kept in a bad set up coop, small and not predator proof at all. It was my first try at chickens and I learned from a local rancher who by no means spoiled his chickens. My hens did just great, and laid great too.

What I like most about Barred Rocks is they don't seem to vary very much. Hatchery birds are just as friendly and easy going as bred birds it seems, I have had nothing but good luck with hatchery Barred Rocks. That is my vote [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. eKo_birdies

eKo_birdies Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2010
    Northern Colorado
    i free range all my birds so i only know what i have read... but to my knowledge, leghorns are one of the best layers in confined space (if you aren't opposed to your basic white egg [​IMG] )

5. gbeauvin

gbeauvin Out Of The Brooder

Jun 22, 2010
    Quote:Eggshells go in the trash. Egg white/yolk go in my tummy. Don't care so much about the former, but the latter on the other hand...

-GB

6. Morgan7782

Morgan7782 Dense Egg Goo

Mar 22, 2010
    Sacramento CA
    One thing to keep in mind about Leghorns is they tend to be flighty. At least from what I have heard from various owners. No experience with them myself [​IMG] the chicken breed selection tool is very helpful too, though sometimes it doesn't narrow it down enough! lol!

7. Yardbirds286

Yardbirds286 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 7, 2009
    Western Mass
    I would vote for Barred Rock's.

8. beachchickie

beachchickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2009
    Alabama
    My BSL are lazy and don't mind being in a cage. My RIR and my EE hate being cooped up.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by