Good laying breeds for Memphis area?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Mattsculpt, Oct 29, 2011.

1. Mattsculpt

Mattsculpt Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 29, 2011
    Proctor, Arkansas
    I'm hunting information about laying breeds that will do well in my local climate. It gets into the upper nineties for most of the summer with high humidity and down into the teens a few times in winter. I want friendly chickens. If possible I'd like them to lay for a long time as they will probubly turn into pets. [​IMG] Thanks.

2. HaikuHeritageFarm

HaikuHeritageFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2010
    Anchorage, AK
    Most breeds will do fine in that climate as long as you can keep them relatively cool in the summer. Mediterranean breeds tend to lay better and are better suited to the heat and humidity IMO, but most are not really known for being friendly...not that it can't happen. Basically, get what you want. There are really no breeds that you can't "make work" there, and "friendliness" varies greatly from bird to bird, line to line, and is hugely influenced by how they are handled and treated.

3. Hot2Pot

Hot2Pot Fox Hollow Rabbitry

Feb 1, 2010
    West TN
    Welcome to byc! All of my breeds do well in this climate . I am about 90 minutes from you.

4. auto5man

auto5man Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2011
    Memphis
    Strictly an amateur myself on my first flock that are not laying yet (any day now), but I have a mixed flock of barred rock, rhode island red, white leghorn, buff orp, and EE....they all survived seemingly without difficulty the extreme heat of this Memphis summer! Also a buddy in Memphis has buff orps and barred rocks and his flock did well too. The friendliest is the buff orp but she was handled more frequently and from an earlier age than the rest.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by