good low cost incubator

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by abhaya, Nov 19, 2010.

1. abhaya

abhaya Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2010
    cookeville, tn
    My kids want to hatch some eggs I think it would be cool to let them give it a try and see how it all works. What is a good small incubator that is not terribly expensive I dont think this is gonna be a regular event. I have never hatched eggs so any input would help My low cost incubator right now is my silkie

2. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

You are SOOOOOO wrong!!!!!!! You hatch once, it WILL be a regular event! It's SOOOOOO habit forming! [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 19, 2010
  3. Urbanfarmerkc

Urbanfarmerkc Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2010
    Raytown, MO (BY KCMO)
  4. FlashPointFarm

FlashPointFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2009
    Iowa
    Hovabator 1588 is a good choice for a first incubator. They have a good resale value as well.

5. rebel yell

rebel yell Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    Alabama
    Best thing to do is build one out of a styrofoam ice chest, probably only have to buy the thermostat, wafer type is what i use & they work great, & an old lamp light fixture, & mine has worked very good, the Omaha Steaks ice chest works the best for me, & its a lot of fun to hatch chicks out of something you built rather than one you buy, & a good experience for kids.

6. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

Last edited: Nov 19, 2010
  7. trilyn

trilyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2009
    East Syracuse
    Agree with Kathy, go with the Brinsea...great price and great product!! It is on my Christmas wish list!

8. ArieBLB

ArieBLB Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2010
    Goirle, The Netherlands
  9. dorthal

dorthal Out Of The Brooder

Oct 28, 2009
    North Alabama
    I would say buy an incubator. I took a look at the homemade ones, the ones that I looked at, you would have to be a mechanic, electrician and goodness knows what else. Need something simple that anyone could do. You know, 1-2-3 easy peasy. I like the hen, but kids can't watch. You can buy a Hovabator, no turner in the $30-40 range. Then they could have hands-on turning them.

10. cowhoss

cowhoss Out Of The Brooder

Feb 5, 2010
    Sisters, Oregon
    I am new to hatching as well and I decided on the Brinsea oct 20. It is supposed to be here on the 23! Somewhere on the forum there is a 10% coupon code for their website. Also if you go to the Brinsea facebook page there is another 10% off coupon code if you order by the 22 of Nov. Im not sure if you can use both but it sure is worth a try! I only got the first 10% off but still a great deal... Good Luck! ~R

Last edited: Nov 19, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by