Good low sodium recipes?

Cara

Songster
12 Years
Aug 30, 2007
NM
Does anyone have any suggestions, that don't have to include chicken or eggs, or any snack suggestions? My husband has been diagnosed with high blood pressure, and the doctor has recommended that he lower his salt intake and lose weight, but he didn't offer us much practical advice. Needless to say my husband is already complaining, and I haven't tried anything out on him yet! Please help!

I have a really low tolerance for salt - what other people like is usually oversalted for my taste. But a few suggestions I have heard of are: up the flavor of things with herbs and spices, and the lower salt content won't be so noticeable. There are herb mixes in the spice section at the market, if you aren't comfortable using the individual herbs. Sometimes a dash of lemon juice or vinegar will give an added "oomph" where needed. One thing that I can vouch for personally is that giving up something cold turkey for a month will change your taste for it - in my case it was sugar. I haven't had a sweet tooth since I was 12, and gave it up on a dare. Of course, your husband would have to agree to it, and it will be hard. I was miserable for my sugarless month, but couldn't stand sugar on my cereal once I "allowed" myself to eat it again. Good luck; tastes change over time, but its hard in the beginning.

When my brother had a stroke, he had to lower his salt intake. He started using Mrs. Dash seasonings and loves them. (I think that's what they are called) anyway, the sodium is lower and they are sold at most big chain grocery stores.

I lowered the salt in DH food without telling him. He never even noticed. I just Slowly started putting less and less on his food until he was hardly getting any at all. I still don't think he knows. I try to use other spices and DH likes spicy food so that helps.

I went into congestive heart failure 4 days after delivering my child and my heart doctor put me on a low sodium diet too. It sucked to say the least. I am from the south where everything is seasoned with bacon drippings and salt pork and SALT and the like. I started using lots of pepper (black) in place of salt. Also I started adding bell peppers and/or onions in everything, and used the Mrs. Dash shake on seasonings. I did not like Mrs. Dash's too well but now that I can eat whatever I want I still do not use salt. I LOVE pepper now though. THe heart docotor told me to only eat FRESH veggies and meat. NOTHING that came out of a can, box, envelope, etc... ALL the stuff you buy at the grocery store is FULL of Sodium(salt). So that is what I did, ate fresh vegetable that I raised and put up and ate only fresh meats and fruits. I LOVE to cook and eat, so I can REALLY sympathize with your husband.

Mrs Dash has NO sodium and come in I believe 8 flavor blends.

My husband has a Quad Heart Bypass on Halloween and was also diagnosed with high blood pressure, high trigylcerides & Diabetes. His diet drastically changed and we are all trying to "get used to it". It will take time.

Some sites for health meals. Losing weight can have a dramatic effect on BP.

http://www.diabetes.org/home.jsp

http://www.calorieking.com/foods/

Thank you so much for all your help. Yesterday I went through the cupboards and fridge and threw out anything 'bad', and then took a mammoth trip to Walmart. Shopping should get easier once we work out what tastes good and what's healthy to eat, I think I gave myself a headache reading all those labels. It is scary how much salt there is in so many things, it's a wonder any of us are still alive. Seeing what some people had in their carts gave me chills. The funny thing is I am more knowledgeable about what to feed and not feed my dogs than what I should eat myself. I got a lot of fresh salmon, shrimp, turkey, chicken, and some flank steak to make fajitas, and a lot of fresh pasta and vegetables. I threw out the vegetable oil and bought olive oil, and got low sodium salt and an assortment of Mrs. Dash's. My husband does love green chillies, so if I put enough in no salt should be the least of his worries LOL

The hard part is that my husband is fed at work. He's a cowboy, and they all eat breakfast and lunch together. He doesn't want to miss out on the social aspect, and it's hard for him to turn down bacon, eggs, biscuits and gravy for a bowl of cereal. On top of that, the cook always makes very high calorie food for lunch: chicken-fried steak, enchiladas, fried chicken, fried pork chops...basically anything fried and/or with cheese. I figured I can make him some breakfast burritos with Egg Beaters and low sodium bacon that he can take with him and put in the microwave for breakfast. For lunch I can make homemade pasta sauces, salads, sandwiches etc at home.

We also get free beef which hasn't helped with cholesterol etc. I can't eat beef every day, I get bored of it, but it must be terrible for us too. I'll just have to raise lots more meat chickens!

He has to go back in 3 weeks, so i'm hoping by then he will see a difference, and if the doctor notices it will give him encouragement to stick to it.

Back
Top Bottom