good meat chicken

hunterblu123

Chirping
9 Years
Aug 4, 2010
SW Ohio
What breeds of chickens are good meat bird. Right now I have cornish X and I don't like them. I've lost 1/2 of them b/c they keep smashing each other and they have lot's of space and they are very dirty birds.

http://www.ithaca.edu/staff/jhenderson/chooks/chooks.html

Henderson's Breed Chart... tells which are classified as layers, which are Dual Purpose, and the ones that are NOW DP but were formerly meat birds... Brahmas, Jerseys, Langshan, & Orpingtons... not considered such anymore now that CX's and such are around. Also includes info about eggs size, color, number... attitude, cold and heat hardiness AND broodiness... so that if you go that route you can restore your flock without having to order chicks each year which I think is really neat. And includes the typical hen and roo weights for each breed too so you can compare which meat/DP gets the weight you want and look at laying and broody and hardiness for your area ... OH and it has a snowflake next to the ones that usually lay well through the winter too.

Some awesome info in that chart.

Last edited:
type in Heritage Plymouth Rocks

or Frank Reese Good Shepard Ranch.

They have some three members of this board that have breeders who will be sharing their eggs with others this spring. They are breed for taste and they are good all around Plymouth Rocks. bob blosl Secetary Plymouth Rock Club

you want be disapointed.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=399477&p=11

Last edited:
How about some freedom rangers.I havent personally tried them myself but they are like cornish x's but take a little longer and actually move around and free range.

I had broilers, and truthfully, I had more meat on my roosters
smile.png

the look of a dressed cornish carcass is gross to me. that's one of the things i appreciate about freedom rangers... their carcass actually looks like a chicken carcass instead of a nasty flesh colored balloon of sorts

My blue copper and black copper Marans have a good weight and a fabulous taste to them! We prefer their meat over all other breeds of roos we eat. (We seldom eat any hens) Our banty Cochins even give us good meat but the taste is in the Marans, for sure!
thumbsup.gif

I like black cooper marans and rhode island red. I have few offspring cross between the 2. Will see how they are laying and meat flavor next year.

Back
Top Bottom