Good Morning and thank you for this wonderful forum

Loyselle73

Hatching
May 5, 2017
Hi! My name is Theresa from Central Arkansas. I'm a relatively new chicken mom. I got my first batch of babies for Mother's Day last year - 12 sexed hens - black and red stars and some white mixed breed that they couldn't tell me what at Atwood's. One ended up being a black Cochin rooster, but we didn't find that out until after my son had shown him as a pullet in the fair. He was a big baby, but we didn't know (and neither did the experts judging either so I don't feel so bad).

I lost one as a baby due to an over zealous friend who thought it should go to bed with her but we did really well with the rest until recently. One just disappeared (thinking a hawk got her), two just died with no evidence of any injury, and just this week two were killed by a neighbor's dog. So I have 5 hens - 3 red stars, one black star, and one white. One of my reds has been injured by the rooster and I am nursing her as I am typing this - she is the reason I am joining the community now.

I'm also mom to 4 beautiful children and 2 kitties. I really value and appreciate the passion and wisdom shared here. I hope to be able to contribute as I gain experience myself.

Love and Blessings to all!

Hi Theresa,

Welcome to the BYC Community. I am sorry to hear of the loss of a few of your chickens. Sometimes no one knows what sex or breed they maybe as we were never told when we got the chicks. Even the sales people mix them up and place them in the wrong pens by mistake. So we can get something completely different then what we expected.

I have Welsummers and Easter Eggers and as chicks I couldn't tell them apart until the Easter Eggers got green feet. They are a month old now and growing like weeds. I also have Road Island Reds chicks to and 4 Orpingtons. My son was given last year. We haven't introduced them to each other as the chicks are in my livingroom still. Soon to go out into their new run. I am hoping to do that next weekend.

So best of luck with the rest of the flock. Hope your little one recovers soon.

Cntry

G’Day from down under Theresa
frow.gif
Welcome!

Sorry to hear of your losses.

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

If you would like to share pictures and stories of your flock, you have come to the right place. BYC’ers never tire of these and do not back away slowly or commence eye rolling when the photo album or home videos come out
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom