Good Morning everyone!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Pinkfarmwaters, Apr 4, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Pinkfarmwaters

Pinkfarmwaters In the Brooder

Apr 3, 2018
    i am new to this group and new to raising chickens so I have a question. My babies are 3 weeks old and I realized last night that two of them have been pecked on their back side to the point of blood. I have no other options as far as housing them but I was hoping to treat the wounds but if I put ointment on them and the others still peck them, will they get sick?

2. N F C

N F C is it nap time yet?

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    :welcome

There's a antiseptic product called Blue-Kote you can find at most feed stores...it's dark purplish-blue and once you dab it on your chicks butts, the others should stop pecking them.

What breed of chicks do you have and how big is your brooder? Make sure they have plenty of space and it might help to put some boredom busters in the brooder to keep the chicks occupied so they don't harass each other.

Best of luck, thanks for joining us!

3. Pinkfarmwaters

Apr 3, 2018
    I will go to town this morning and look for that. Also, what are boredom boosters? Thanks for the help. This site is a life saver to me and I look forward to learning from you all. I have 5 barred rock, 5 buff Orpington, 5 golden lace Wyandotte.....all females then one male Wyandotte. All within 3 days age difference. 2 1/2-3 weeks. Tomorrow I have 10 baby Sapphire Gems coming in

4. N F C

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Boredom busters are things unbreakable mirrors, old CD's hung from the top of their brooder lid, pieces of clean plastic pipe they can run through or jump on top of, introduce small roosts they can sit on, etc. The point is to give them something to do/explore and divert their attention from messing with each other.

5. Pinkfarmwaters

Apr 3, 2018
    Thanks. I will try some of those.

Teila, N F C, Joeschooks and 2 others like this.
  6. Texas Kiki

Texas Kiki Egg Pusher

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
    My Coop
    Teila, Pork Pie Ken, N F C and 2 others like this.
  7. 007Sean

007Sean Pheasant Whisperer

Oct 25, 2015
    South Central Texas
    Howdy:welcome:frow Happy :yato have you join the family. Enjoy your time here at BYC! :)

8. Joeschooks

Joeschooks Just clucking around

Feb 7, 2018
    Hampshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hello and :welcome

Great advice there given by the others. I have used an online recipe for home made, natural anti-peck solution which basically consists of honey, blue food coloring and a few drops of tea tree oil. I STRONGLY recommend you DON'T use that recipe! In my experience they love the taste and it makes the problem a whole lot worse. Stick to the proper store bought stuff and make sure they are all kept entertained :thumbsup

9. FrankieDoodle

FrankieDoodle Poppy-Dog

Jul 29, 2017
    California
    :frow Welcome to BYC!!! :woot

10. N F C

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Hee hee, sorry Joeschooks, but your "remedy" precaution gave me a chuckle :lol:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: